Award of Excellence For Schools
The Volunteer Tennessee Award of Excellence for Volunteerism and Service-Learning (formerly known as the Seal of Approval) program provides recognition annually for K-12 schools (both private and public) engaged in volunteerism and service. This program is supported by Volunteer Tennessee, the state service commission, and provides an opportunity for schools to be honored for their outstanding work in the areas of service, service-learning, and volunteerism. The purpose of the recognition is to promote youth engagement in the improvement of their local communities.
For schools that would like to be considered for recognition for the 2019-2020 academic year the application will be available in May.
Recognition: If approved, recognized schools will receive a certificate (suitable for framing) signed by the Volunteer Tennessee Executive Director and the Volunteer Tennessee Board of Director’s Chairperson. Recipients of this award will be recognized at the Tennessee Conference on Volunteerism and Service-Learning.
Questions may be directed to Shannon Duke at Shannon.Duke@tn.gov.
Additional Opportunities for Schools Engaged in Service:
The Tennessee Conference on Volunteerism and Service-Learning includes a Student Track planned specifically by and for middle, high school, and college students. This track will provide a space for youth from Tennessee to connect over volunteerism, service-learning, and community engagement.
The following schools were recognized at the 2020 Tennessee Conference on Volunteerism and Service-Learning on February 11, 2020:
- Beacon Academy, Collegedale, TN
- Central Magnet School, Murfreesboro, TN
- Dover Elementary School, Dover, TN
- Ensworth School- High School Division, Nashville, TN
- Friendship Christian School, Lebanon, TN
- Jackson Central-Merry Early College High School, Jackson, TN
- Jefferson County High School, Dandridge, TN
- Johnson County High School, Mountain City, TN
- Lipscomb Academy, Nashville, TN
- Middle Tennessee Christian School, Murfreesboro, TN
- South Knoxville Elementary School, Knoxville, TN (Not pictured below)
- South Pittsburg High School, Pittsburg, TN
- Unaka High School, Elizabethton, TN
- Union Elementary STEM and Demonstration School, Gallatin, TN
- University School of Nashville,Nashville, TN
- Whitwell High School, Whitwell, TN
The following schools were recognized at the 2019 Tennessee Conference on Volunteerism and Service-Learning on February 11, 2019:
• Beacon Academy
• Central Magnet School
• Fayette Academy
• Ivy Academy Chattanooga
• Jefferson County High School
• South Pittsburg High School
• Unaka High School
• Union Elementary STEM and Demonstration School
• University School of Nashville
• Whitwell High School