Get A Permit Over the Phone

man calling for burn permit

For broadcast burning applications such as forestry (understory, site prep), agricultural (crop stubble, field clearing), wildlife (habitat, warm season grasses), land clearing (dozer piles, windrows) or other burning, call (877) 350-BURN (2876) to speak with a Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Division of Forestry representative to request a permit.

Permits for small debris piles should be obtained through online permit system. Online permits are free and easy to get the day of your burn as long as the division is issuing permits in that location (permits may be restricted due to unsafe burning conditions).

Burning permits may be obtained by phone Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (local time), except on holidays. Permits may be obtained in advance for weekends and holidays.

Debris burning is never allowed in the following counties: Davidson, Knox, Madison, and Shelby.
To find phone numbers of local governments with outdoor burning ordinances, go to the online permit system and continue to the county table page.

Burn Permit Card