TN Veterans Education Transition Support (VETS) Program
Passed into law in 2014, the Tennessee Veterans Education Transition Support (VETS) Act establishes a program of recognition for higher education institutions which allocate resources for veterans’ successful transition from military service to college enrollment.
An institution receiving VETS Campus certification not only prioritizes outreach to veterans, but successfully delivers the services necessary to create a supportive environment where student veterans can prosper while pursuing their education.
To qualify for the VETS Campus designation, institutions must:
- Conduct an annual campus survey of students who are veterans to identify the views, needs, issues and suggestions of veterans;
- Provide information to faculty and staff about military and veterans’ culture, including combat-related mental or physical disabilities or other challenges;
- Administer orientation programs for students who are veterans;
- Facilitate mentoring and support programs for students who are veterans;
- Develop outreach and communication strategies for military bases located near the campus, for the purpose of assessing veterans’ educational goals and meeting their identified needs;
- Create and maintain a process for the assessment of prior learning that grants academic credit to veterans for transferable training and experience attaining through military service; and
- Provide, on the campus website, information on the availability of prior learning assessments and potential program credit for skills, training or education obtained during military service.
Eligible institutions may apply for designation as a VETS Campus by submitting a written request to Mike Krause, Executive Director, outlining all outreach services offered to veterans.
After attaining the VETS campus designation, institutions must annually report the following information, on or before July 31 of each year:
- The number of veterans enrolled at its campus;
- The programs of study in which veterans are enrolled;
- The completion of degrees or other credentials by veterans; and
- A current list of course equivalencies for military education, training and experience.
THEC will provide VETS campus institutions with a template for submitting the required data.