Money Follows the Person (MFP)
In July 2022, TennCare’s Money Follows the Person (MFP) Demonstration launched with a focus on transitioning individuals in ICFs/IID into the community and will include a system transformation grant opportunity to support providers in re-imagining how they serve individuals with I/DD.
Tennessee's MFP program aligns with the CHOICES and Employment and Community First CHOICES program and the State’s 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waivers for individuals with an intellectual disability to help transition eligible individuals from institutions into qualified residences in the community, and help rebalance the State’s LTSS expenditures.
Money Follows the Person (MFP) is a federally funded grant awarded to TennCare with the purpose of assisting the state to transition people from qualified institutions (i.e., ICF/IID) to home and community based care, and to also assist the state to rebalance their long term care expenditures.
What does the program do for our members?
- Financial Support for Transition: MFP pays for a participant’s care in the community. It also pays for other expenses that come when a person moves into a more independent situation. Based on participant’s needs, they may be eligible to receive more help. MFP may help with home modifications, short term rent assistance and security deposits, along with one-time setup costs for a new apartment.
- Care Coordination: An MFP participant’s care plan depends on their needs. The care management team will help assess each person’s needs. They will assess what level of care will provide a safe transition to the community. They will also look at how many hours need to be covered in any given day.
- Transition Support: A Transition Coordinator will work with MFP participant’s and the care team to help find a place to live. They will also help find service providers such as nurses, physical therapists, or home health aides in the community.
- Tennessee Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Demonstration Summary Report
- Money Follows the Person (MFP) Flyer
Questions? Contact us at LTSS Help Desk 1-877-224-0219