Who qualifies for Employment and Community First CHOICES?
To qualify for Employment and Community First CHOICES, a person must:
- Provide proof that they have an intellectual disability or other developmental disability.
- An intellectual disability must start before the age of 18.
- A developmental disability must start before the age of 22.
As long as the person provides proof of an intellectual or developmental disability, we say they are “at risk” of nursing home placement.
If the person would actually qualify for the level of care provided in a nursing home (but wants services in the community instead), we say they meet “nursing home level of care.” This means they may qualify to get more services.
(This doesn’t mean the person has to receive care in a nursing home. This program provides services at home and in the community. They just need to qualify for nursing home care.)
- Qualify financially to get TennCare. This means:
- For 2021, the person’s income can't be more than $2,382 per month (If it is, they may be able to set up a Qualifying Income Trust). This amount can change every year. For children under age 18, the parent’s income counts too unless the child would qualify to receive care in a nursing home. (This doesn’t mean the child has to receive care in a nursing home. This program provides services at home and in the community. They just need to qualify for nursing home care. If they do, and they’re under age 18, their parents’ income does not count.)
- The total value of things you own can't be more than $2,000 (The home where you live doesn't count); AND
- You can't have given away or sold anything for less than what it's worth in the last five (5) years.
- People in one of the groups on the green page may qualify to enroll in the program and get services now. These are people who need services right away because they have the most urgent needs.
- People in one of the groups on the pink page may qualify to enroll in the program and get services when there is a slot. These slots are VERY limited right now.