Skip to Main Content


Middle Tennessee Flooding Recovery

On Saturday, August 21, 2021 the several counties in Middle Tennessee experienced catastrophic flooding and flash flooding from the line of rain and storms that moved through the State. The primary counties affected were Dickson, Hickman, Houston, and Humphreys, with the City of Waverly being heavily impacted. This page offers resources for those recovering and will be updated regularly.

Federal Disaster Assistance 
On August 23, 2021, President Joseph R. Biden declared a Major Disaster for the state of Tennessee as a result of severe storms and flooding that occurred on August 21, 2021.

This declaration makes federal funding available in Dickson, Hickman, Houston, and Humphreys counties. Impacted individuals in these counties can apply for FEMA's Individual Assistance (IA) program. News releases for the disaster declaration can be found here. The deadline for survivors to apply for federal aid is October 25, 2021.

If you have a homeowner’s policy, file your insurance claim immediately before applying for disaster assistance. Get the process started quickly. The faster you file, the faster your recovery can begin. Take photos and videos of all damage before you start cleaning up.

To apply for assistance, visit or call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY), multilingual operators are available, press 2 for Spanish.  The toll-free numbers are open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT, seven days a week.

You will need the following to apply for assistance:

• Social Security number;
• Daytime telephone number;
• Current mailing address and address and zip code of the damaged property; and
• Insurance information, if available.

A Multi-Agency Resource Center (MARC) is open for those who would like to speak in person about disaster assistance. Representatives from local, state, and federal agencies will be available to discuss programs and assistance with flood survivors. The MARC will close on September 24, 2021.

Humphreys County
Cumberland Presbyterian Church
109 North Church St, Waverly, TN
Monday-Saturday 9am to 7pm
Sunday- 12pm to 5pm

The U.S. Small Business Administration is currently operating a Business Recovery Center to support all businesses with one-on-one assistance in submitting a disaster loan application. The Business Recovery Center will close on September 24, 2021.

Humphreys County
Waverly City Hall
101 E. Main Street, Waverly, TN
Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Saturdays and Sundays


Fact Sheets: Individual Assistance ProgramIndividuals and Household Programs

Crisis Cleanup
A Crisis Cleanup service is in place for Tennesseans who need help with debris removal and home cleanup from the recent flooding. All services are free, but service is not guaranteed due to the expected overwhelming need. Individuals needing assistance should call the hotline at 615-338-7404. Services are available until September 24.

American Red Cross
The American Red Cross continues to serve those affected by the recent flooding. Emergency assistance is available to individuals whose homes were destroyed or majorly impacted. For more information, please contact the American Red Cross by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

In times of disaster, financial donations are the best way to aid those in need. Cash can be used immediately in response to a crisis, and allows disaster relief organizations to purchase exactly what is needed, when it’s needed. Cash gives relief organizations the means to procure supplies near the affected area, which cuts down on transportation time and cost. Monetary contributions also support local economies and ensure that businesses can operate when relief supplies diminish.

A significant cleanup and recovery effort is underway in Humphreys County and many organizations and individuals are volunteering or providing volunteer personnel and resources for this effort. Volunteers can connect with Tennessee Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster through TNVOAD’s website or by email

Please work with established non-profit organizations to volunteer as part of an organized effort. This way the appropriate safety, training, and skills can be provided and utilized for the effort.

Faith-Based Organizations

Tennessee Statewide Crisis Phone Line
Call 855-CRISIS-1 (855-274-7471) to speak with a caring, trained mental health professional, 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week, if you are experiencing a mental health emergency. You can also text TN to 741741.

The Centerstone Crisis Line is also available at 1-800-681-7444 for disaster crisis counseling.

SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. The Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990, is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster.  Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance
The Tennessee Dept. of Labor and Workforce Development announced today that Disaster Unemployment Assistance is now available to Humphreys County workers impacted by the recent flooding.

Workers can apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance by visiting the American Job Center, 711 Holly Lane, in Waverly. Those with computer and internet access can also apply at

Legal Support
Residents with legal issues as a result of the storms may call 844-HELP4TN (844-435-7486). Callers may get free information about contracts for repair or rebuilding, landlord/tenant issues, replacement of documents and other disaster-related questions. Callers should leave a voicemail message and an attorney will return the call.

Attorneys are also available to answer questions online at Additionally, survivors can access information about their rights and resources, including links to upcoming legal clinics, FEMA information, and local resources at Disaster legal services are authorized by FEMA in cooperation with the Tennessee Bar Association and the Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services.

Well Water Testing
The Tennessee Department of Health is offering free well water testing is available to flood impacted residents. For more information, please call 615-426-0216.

Flooding can cause an increase in mosquito populations. Protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites by wearing long-sleeved shirt and pants and using EPA-registered insect repellents. More info here.

Avoiding Scams
While many people seek to help during times of disaster, unfortunately there is also an increased risk for scams and fraud. Watch out for upfront fees to help you claim services, benefits, or get loans. The Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs can be reached at 615-741-4737 or online at

Report Misconduct
The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance licenses many of the professionals who play a role in rebuilding, including contractors, home inspectors, and insurance agents, among others. If you witness unlicensed activity or other potential violations of laws and rules involving our licensees, visit to file a complaint.

Filing Insurance Claims
After a disaster, file your claim as soon as possible. Call your insurance company or agent with your policy number and other relevant information. Your policy may require that you make the notification within a certain time frame. Save all receipts, including those from the temporary repairs covered by your policy. TDCI’s Insurance Division can be reached at 615-741-2218 or online at

Hiring Contractors
Before hiring a professional such as a contractor, consumers should first verify that the individual is properly licensed to work in Tennessee by visiting to conduct a license check. Keep a record of your property damage and any repairs made to your property.

If you are dealing with a company or person who promises to remove debris from your property, ask them to list the services they will provide in writing. The Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors can be reached at (615) 741-8307 or online at

Always buy from a licensed seller and do your due diligence before you buy. The Tennessee Motor Vehicle Commission can be reached at 615-741-2711 or online at

Reconnecting to Electrical Power
Before power can be restored to a flooded home, a certified electrical inspector working with the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office must conduct visual inspections of locations impacted by floodwaters to assess potential damage. If it is determined that floodwaters did not reach electrical equipment, it will be left to the local power company to determine if electrical service may be turned back on. If minor damage from floodwater is observed, the replacement of receptacles and switches will be necessary to ensure the safe operation of electrical equipment with no need for further inspection.If the electrical inspector determines that floodwaters rose to a level that affected electrical equipment, the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office advises that the property owner work with a licensed electrician to  determine what components need to be replaced or repaired. In this event, a subsequent electrical inspection will be conducted before the property is re-energized. Homeowners insurance may help cover the cost of replacing appliances and other personal belongings and property that has been damaged. Questions? Consumers are urged to contact your insurance agent and/or company to discuss any available assistance and questions about your coverage.

Generator Safety, Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
With the loss of power due to the flooding, many people may rely on portable fuel-powered generators which are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when natural fuels burn incompletely. Breathing high levels of carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness or even death. Never use a gas generator inside a home, garage, carport basement, crawlspace or outside near a window, door or vent. A generator should only be used outdoors and at least 15 feet away from buildings. It is dangerous to use a gas or kerosene heater inside a home or other building.


Debris Sorting