The purpose of this page is to dispell rumors and inaccurate information. Please utilize official organizations for accurate and current information.
- Several news outlets have reported that the Tennessee Department of Health has recommended wearing diapers and swim goggles.
- TRUTH: CDC has guidance for health care providers regarding PPE and strategies for optimizing use of PPE available here.
- Reports of malware and scams attached to links posing as COVID-19 information.
- TRUTH: On March 6, 2020 the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) released an alert reminding individuals to remain vigilant for scams related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Cyber actors may send emails with malicious attachments or links to fraudulent websites to trick victims into revealing sensitive information or donating to fraudulent charities or causes.
- Several news outlets are reporting an independent count due to discrepencies between state and local numbers.
- TRUTH: Discrepancy between local reporting and Tennessee Department of Health reporting is due to labs reporting to local jurisdictions prior to TDH.
- Negative sentiment regarding Tennessee plans on opening schools again in 30 days.
- TRUTH: School closures have been extended to April 24th. Current information regarding school closures and available resources can be found here.
- Continue to see reports of price gouging.
- Continue to see reports of private sector issuing “credentialing” to essential employees.
- Large numbers of individuals continue to call for a state-wide “safer-at-home” order.
- Conspiracy theories continue to circulate, including the 5G and Event 201 theories.
- Sentiment around access to testing continues to be negative.
- Businesses may donate new, unused PPE and supplies to be used in the COVID-19 response. More information on accepted supplies and donation locations can be found here.
- Governor Bill Lee and other state agencies are encouraging individuals to seek COVID-19 information from official sources only.
- The WHO has created a COVID-19 mythbusting website.
- FEMA has created a COVID-19 rumor control website that we are continuing to share.
- At this time, there are no plans for TEMA to establish a rumor control hotline. Calls regarding COVID-19 can be directed to the TDH hotline at (833) 556-2476 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT.