Interstate 24 SMART CorridorDavidson and Rutherford Counties
Transportation projects are developed in four phases: Planning and Environmental, Design, Right-of-Way (ROW), and Construction. ROW acquisition is not needed for this project. Construction is expected to occur in phases.
The following is a reflection of various aspects of the project phases as they have occurred or will occur for the I-24 SMART Corridor.
|Phase 1: Short-Term Deployments|
|Design||Completed Summer 2018|
|Construction||Estimated Completion December 2020|
|Phase 2: Intermediate Deployments|
|Design||Completed Summer 2019|
|Construction||Estimated Completion Winter 2022|
|Phase 3: Long-Term Deployments|
|Design||Completion Forecasted for Summer 2022|
|Construction||Completion Forecasted for Winter 2024|
* All forecasted dates are subject to change.
Details about each planned deployment are outlined below.
Phase 1: Short-Term Deployments
- Ramp improvements and emergency pull-offs along I-24
- Roadside dynamic message signs (DMS) along I-24
- Dedicated short-range communication (DSRC) deployment along I-24 and the arterials
- Upgraded signal system including updated signal timings along the arterials
Phase 2: Intermediate Deployments
- Upgraded fiber along I-24
- Overhead DMS for Active Traffic Management System along I-24
- Upgraded detection along I-24 and the arterials
Phase 3: Long-Term Deployments
- Ramp Metering along I-24
- Upgraded fiber along arterials
- CCTVs and DMS along arterials
- ADA improvements along arterials
- Automated Decision Support Systems for Active Traffic Management for entire corridor