Interstate 640 Interchange at North BroadwayKnox County
Recognizing the importance of the interchange at Interstate 640 and North Broadway in Knox County for both local and national traffic, TDOT has begun to make important changes to the interchange. This project substantially improves access by adding ramp node capacity and by adding a northbound Broadway to westbound I-640 loop ramp. This movement is currently served by a left turn at a signalized intersection.
Project Location Map (pdf)
Project Handout (pdf)
Goals for modifying the I-640 interchange at North Broadway are as follows:
- Complete the second phase of intersection construction
- Provide an adequate level of service at the I-640 ramp junctions with Broadway, Old Broadway, and Tazewell Pike
- Provide an adequate design for westbound merge and diverge movements on I-640
- Maintain a good level of mobility to the community
- Minimize the acquisition of businesses
- Minimize the impact to the environmental
Currently, the work zone includes lane width reductions and a reduced speed limit of 45 mph. Motorists are urged to use caution when driving through the project area.
Video of construction of interchange at I-640 & North Broadway from November 9, 2016