Competitive Rail Connectivity Grants
Call for Projects: Competitive Rail Connectivity Grants
The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) will be accepting applications for Competitive Rail Connectivity Grants. A total of $10.3M is available to support projects that meet the program’s objectives. The grant program seeks to strategically expand rail access and opportunities within the state of Tennessee in order to benefit the state by:
- impacting job creation and capital investment by industries that require rail access;
- enhancing the marketability of available industrial sites; and/or
- reducing highway and bridge maintenance costs by diverting heavy freight from the roadway network to rail.
Project proposals must include all applicable information listed in the application requirements. Applications and all supporting documentation must be emailed to TDOT.MultimodalAdmin@tn.gov by 5:00 p.m. CST on December 7, 2018 for consideration.
Click here to download a one-page Fact Sheet on the new grant program.
TDOT CONTACT INFORMATION
TDOT Multimodal Division
1. Applicant Eligibility
o local railroad authorities
o local port authorities
o local governments
o industrial development corporations (pursuant to TCA Title 7 Chapter 53)
o other governmental entities authorized to conduct eligible grant activities
2. Project Eligibility
Eligible projects must support specific needs of existing industry, enhances the marketability of available industrial sites, and/or reduces highway maintenance costs by diverting heavy freight from the roadway network to rail. Eligible projects may include:
o New Spurs, sidings or extension of lines for industry
o Truck‐Rail Transload facilities
o River‐Rail Transload facilities
o 286,000‐pound upgrades on short lines
o Bridge rehabilitation for industry needs
o Other capital projects with benefits that meet the program’s objectives
All eligible projects will undergo review using the evaluation factors below.
1. Project Narrative
- Project Scope
- Project Cost
- Project Schedule
- Performance Measures and Project Goals
2. Economic Development Benefits
- Does the proposed project support a specific need of an existing industry?
- Does the proposed project enhance the marketability of available industrial site(s)?
3. Employment and Capital investment
- Will the proposed project result in new capital investment by new or existing industry?
- Is the new investment supported by a letter of commitment or interest by a private sector industry?
- Does the proposed project enhance marketability of an available industrial site with potential to draw capital investment to Tennessee?
4. Transportation System Impacts
- Will the project result in shifting heavy freight currently moved by truck to rail?
- Will the project result in increasing the amount of freight to be moved by rail in the future?
- Are these transportation impacts supported by letter of commitment or interest by a private sector industry?
5. Community Need and Support
- Demonstration of community support
- Percentage of local participation/local matching funds
- Objectives and Need for Assistance
|Application Period Begins:
||October 15, 2018
|Notice of Intent Due Date:
||November 15, 2018
|Application Due Date:
||December 7, 2018, 5 p.m. CST
Project proposals must include all applicable information listed in the Application Requirements. Applications and all supporting documentation must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. CST on December 7, 2018 for consideration.
A Notice of Intent to Apply Form is due on November 15, 2018. That form can be downloaded here.
Application Materials for the Competitive Rail Connectivity Grant: