Outdoor Advertising Control Program
James K. Polk Building, Suite 400
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0333
Outdoor Advertising Control Program Manager
The Outdoor Advertising Control Program requires the permitting of all off-premise outdoor advertising adjacent to the Interstate System, National Highway System and Federal-Aid Primary Highway System routes.
The TDOT Highway Beautification Office controls outdoor advertising in accordance with Federal laws, statutory laws and state rules. Statutory information concerning outdoor advertising can be found under Tennessee Code Annotated 54-21-101 et. seq and 54-17-101 & 201 et. seq. Rules and Regulations are attached below.
Requirements to Apply for an Outdoor Advertising Device Permit:
- Provide a completed Outdoor Advertising Permit Application with check or money order in the amount of $200.00 (an application for each sign face) payable to the Tennessee Department of Transportation.
- Include a copy of a notarized affidavit signed by the property owner stating permission has been given to erect a sign on their property.
- Include a copy of property owner’s recent property record from the Assessor of Property Office. If this record is available on line, a printout is acceptable.
- Include a map or a scale drawing on a separate piece of paper which shows the location of the proposed outdoor advertising device on private property. The map must show the means by which you will access the proposed outdoor advertising device without using the state right-of-way. It is mandatory to show the property lines and the State’s highway right-of way. The map will need to show cross roads or features that assist in finding the proposed outdoor advertising location.
- No faxes are acceptable in submitting your application packet.
- Mail materials to: TDOT Highway Beautification Office, Outdoor Advertising, Suite 400 James K. Polk Bldg., 505 Deaderick St., Nashville, TN 37243-0333.
Rules and Regulations, Requirements, Application, and Affidavit
For more information regarding Outdoor Advertising, please call Mark Whited at (615) 741-6896 or LaTonja Coates at (615) 532-3459, or fax inquiries to (615) 532-5995.