Outdoor Advertising Control Program
2021 Outdoor Advertising Renewal invoices have been mailed out as of October 30, 2020.
To avoid late fees, all permit renewals (with fees) are due by December 31st, 2020.
The Outdoor Advertising Control Program requires the permitting of all off-premise outdoor advertising adjacent to the Interstate System, National Highway System and Federal-Aid Primary Highway System routes.
The TDOT Highway Beautification Office controls outdoor advertising in accordance with Federal laws, statutory laws and state rules. Statutory information concerning outdoor advertising can be found under Tennessee Code Annotated 54-21-101 et. seq and 54-17-101 & 201 et. seq.
Please follow the link below regarding new draft Rules and Regulations for the Control of Outdoor Advertising and the scheduled rulemaking hearing.
Requirements to Apply for an Outdoor Advertising Device Permit:
- Provide a completed Outdoor Advertising Permit Application with check or money order in the amount of $200.00 (an application for each sign face) payable to the Tennessee Department of Transportation.
- Include a copy of a notarized affidavit signed by the property owner stating permission has been given to erect a sign on their property.
- Include a copy of property owner’s recent property record from the Assessor of Property Office. If this record is available on line, a printout is acceptable.
- Include a map or a scale drawing on a separate piece of paper which shows the location of the proposed outdoor advertising device on private property. The map must show the means by which you will access the proposed outdoor advertising device without using the state right-of-way. It is mandatory to show the property lines and the State’s highway right-of way. The map will need to show cross roads or features that assist in finding the proposed outdoor advertising location.
- No faxes are acceptable in submitting your application packet.
- Mail materials to: TDOT Highway Beautification Office, Outdoor Advertising, Suite 400 James K. Polk Bldg., 505 Deaderick St., Nashville, TN 37243-0333.
Outdoor Advertising Applications:
- ODA Application New Device
- ODA Application Regulatory Suspension
- Addendum Application Digital Display
- Addendum Application Regulatory Suspension
- MAP21 ODA Application
- ODA Affidavit
For more information regarding Outdoor Advertising, please call Mark Whited at (615) 741-6896 or LaTonja Coates at (615) 532-3459, or fax inquiries to (615) 532-5995.