Skip to Main Content


If you’re transporting a load or have equipment that exceeds the legal width, length, height, or weight, a permit is required. A temporary fuel or licensing permit may also be needed if you are not registered in Tennessee.

Please follow the link below to see how to get a trip and/or fuel permit.

Permits can now be ordered easily online through our TNTRIPS System. Use the following links to:

If access to the TNTRIPS webpage is not an option please call the TDOT Permit Office at 615-741-3821.

We're open 8 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).

A Reminder to Check Your Route

When you begin issuing your own permits, it is important to remember your responsibility to check construction reports and load-speed restrictions to verify that the route you plan to take does not have unanticipated restrictions.

 Is your federal information up-to-date?

To avoid unnecessary delays with TDOT, please make sure that your information on the FMCSA Motor Carrier Unified Registration System is current. Discrepancies between information provided to TDOT and what shows up in the federal system, may slow down Permit Applications in TNTRIPS.

If your business has changed its Company Name, USDOT number, FEIN/ TIN (Tax Identification number), and/or mailing or physical address, please make sure to update your forms on the FMCSA site. After this has been completed, please notify The TDOT Permit Office at so that we can keep your account information updated in TNTRIPS.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Escorts (THP)

 The TDOT Permit Office may require super heavy and/or extra-overdimensional load be accompanied by a law enforcement escort. Please see below form for more information.