UAS / Drone Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a weight limit on what requires registration?
- All owners of small UAS weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 lbs) and less than 55 pounds must register using this new system. (Most children's toys have been determined to weigh less than 250g.)
- Is the registration process different if you're a business versus a person?
- The new system does not yet support registration of small UAS used in connection with a business. It will in the future. In the meantime, these entities must continue to register using the FAA paper-based process.
- If I get a UAS (drone) as a gift do I need to register?
- Yes, unless the UAS (drone) has already been registered in your name, and you have obtained the unique identification number. If the name or address registered is different from yours, you should update the registration to your name and address to aid in the return of your UAS if it is lost.
For more information on UAS and federal requirements, visit www.FAA.gov.