If you have an issue with a financial institution, first, you should try to resolve the issue with the financial institution. If you have attempted to work with the institution but need more assistance, you can file a complaint with the department. Here are the ways to file a complaint with TDFI:
- Register the complaint online at https://first.tn.gov/Complaints/UI/
- If you need to furnish supporting documentation to coincide with a recently submitted complaint, or else you are an institution which needs to submit a response to a consumer complaint, please send this documentation using this link: https://first.tn.gov/UploadCenters/CRSUpload/
- Call 1-800-778-4215 to receive a consumer complaint form
- Fax a completed Consumer Complaint Form to 615-253-7794
- Request a form via e-mail at email@example.com
- Mail a completed consumer complaint form to:
Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions
Tennessee Tower 26th Floor
312 Rosa L. Parks
Nashville, TN 37243
Once the complaint is completed and sent to the department, the complaint will be assigned to a Consumer Resources Specialist to review. If more information is needed, the assigned specialist will contact the complainant. In most cases, the complaint and supporting documentation will be sent to the financial institution or licensee; however, there may be situations where a different course of action is taken. If the complaint is sent to an institution, the institution will be asked to provide a written response to the department. Once the institution's response is reviewed by the Consumer Resources Specialist, the Department will respond to the complainant.
Please note that the department cannot act as a court of law or as an attorney on the complainant's behalf, provide legal advice, or become actively involved in complaints that are in litigation or have been resolved by the court system.