First appointed to the State Board of Education in 2014, Ms. Lillian Hartgrove was elected Board chair in January 2018. Prior to joining the State Board of Education, Ms. Hartgrove earned her B.A. in Sociology from Mississippi State University for Women. Outside of her duties as a board member and chair, she serves as the Workforce Development and Education vice president for the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce and the Highlands Economic Partnership, which focuses on education and workforce preparedness initiatives for the Upper Cumberland region. Throughout her 33-year banking career, Ms. Hartgrove has held various management positions with SunTrust Banks. Currently, she currently serves on the TTU College of Business Board of Trustees, the Upper Cumberland Broadcast Council Board of Trustees, and the Putnam County Habitat for Humanity Advisory Board. Ms. Hartgrove is a member of St. Thomas Aquinas Church where she serves on the finance committee, as a commentator, a Eucharistic minister, and on the visitation to the sick ministry. She is married and has one daughter and two grandchildren.
In the News:
- Tennessee Board of Education members re-elect Lillian Hartgrove as chairwoman
- Fewer people are studying to be teachers. Tennessee needs to reverse this.
- What is the punishment if a Tennessee superintendent fails to report educator misconduct?
- Cookevillian to lead State Board of Education
- Tennessee’s long journey to new social studies standards nears its finish line
- Tennessee Board of Education to formalize teacher discipline policy