DUI (T.C.A. 55-10-401), Implied Consent (T.C.A. 55-10-406), Underage Driving While Impaired (T.C.A. 55-10-415), or Drag Racing (T.C.A. 55-10-502) – Restricted Authority (T.C.A. 55-10-409, 55-50-502)
The statute provides a restricted driver license can be issued under limited circumstances. Unless the Court has authorized a license with ignition interlock device and no geographic restrictions, your privilege to drive, other than the approved restrictions, is revoked or suspended and driving prohibited per state statute.
If applying for a restricted license, after a DUI conviction, you must not have been convicted of a prior vehicular homicide as the proximate result of intoxication, aggravated vehicular homicide, or vehicular assault.
You cannot have been involved in an accident in which a person was killed, or suffered serious bodily injury, as the approximate result of the DUI violation.
If restricted to vehicle(s) with ignition interlock device, such device must be installed on the vehicle before applying for the restricted driver license and must be used while operating the vehicle in order for the restricted license to be valid. The Department of Safety and Homeland Security’s website has a list of ignition interlock providers.
- Obtain a certified order from the court where convicted, or court in county of residence, signed by Judge. Geographic locations restricted to only driving to and from, and working at, person's regular place of employment; to and from office, meeting, or function with probation officer; attending a court-ordered alcohol safety program; a college or university if enrolled full time; a scheduled interlock monitoring appointment; an outpatient alcohol or drug treatment program; or regular place of worship for regularly scheduled religious services.
- Obtain SR-22 from liability insurance company showing currently in effect (policy or other document not acceptable).
- Pay a $65 license fee and $2.00 application fee.
- Take the original certified Court Order and a copy to a Driver Services Center within ten (10) days of the date of the Court Order along with any other required documentation.
- If the Court or statute requires an individual be restricted to vehicles with functioning ignition interlock device, the device must be installed on the vehicle and installation papers presented at the Driver Service Center.
- Restricted License for Underage Driving While Impaired (T.C.A. 55-10-415) is only available for violations occurring 07/01/16-09/19/16.