Regular and specialty license plates for automobiles (cars, station wagons, vans, pick-up trucks up to 3/4 ton rating and 9,000 pounds or less in weight, and motor homes of any size) and motorcycles can be personalized.
The annual fee for a personalized regular plate is $61.50 for automobiles and $54.50 for motorcycles. Annual fees for personalized specialty plates can be found in the individual plate descriptions under “Available License Plates.”
Personalization is available in the form of:
- minimum three and maximum seven characters for a regular automobile plate;
- minimum three and maximum six characters for a regular motorcycle plate; and
- minimum three and maximum four or five characters (see plate descriptions) for specialty plates.
To personalize a regular or specialty plate, submit to the Vehicle Services Division (44 Vantage Way, Suite 160, Nashville, TN 37243-8050):
- “Application for Tennessee Personalized License Plate”
- $35 personalization fee (regular plate) or $70 personalization fee (specialty plate)
- Three choices for personalization (subject to department approval)