The Tennessee Department of Revenue offers several methods for submitting electronic payments. If a tax return is required to be filed electronically, the associated payment must also be submitted electronically.
Electronic Payment Methods
Credit Card - The Department of Revenue accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. A 2.35% service fee will be added to your payment. Please note: The service fee will show as a separate transaction on your credit card statement. The tax payment will have a merchant description as TDOR, while the service fee will have a merchant description of Link2GOV. The service fee is handled by a third-party credit card processor, and it is not remitted to or handled by the Tennessee Department of Revenue.
ACH Debit - Under this option, the taxpayer or a representative initiates the tax payment and authorizes the state to electronically transfer tax payments from the taxpayer's bank account. ACH debit payments can be sent through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP). For more information, please review the ACH Debit Guide.
ACH Credit - Under this option, the taxpayer or a representative initiates tax payments through the taxpayer's bank. The bank then electronically transmits the tax payment to the Department of Revenue. Please contact your bank for information regarding any fees they may charge to initiate this payment type. International taxpayers submitting tax payments should use the ACH Credit option. For more information, please review the ACH Credit Guide.
Making Payments in TNTAP
If you need to pay a tax liability, visit the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) and choose your payment method under the "make a payment" area.
The different payment types are described below.
- Account payment - Make a payment for more than one tax period on the same tax account.
- Audit payment - Make an audit pre-payment to minimize interest or penalty from an audit.
- Collection payment - Make a payment on a tax liability bill.
- Customer payment - Make a payment for multiple accounts for one customer.
- Estimated payment - Make an estimated payment for Hall income tax or franchise & excise tax, for the current tax period only.
- Extension payment - Make a payment on an extension for Hall income tax or franchise & excise tax, for the current tax period only.
- Return payment - Make a payment for a specific tax period on a tax account.