There are a number of strategies outlined in the Read to be Ready report. Here are some highlights of ways you can promote literacy in your classroom:
- Build students’ knowledge by regularly exposing them to sources of content-rich information.
- Help students build vocabulary by giving them regular opportunities to engage with complex texts and words. Model how to use these complex words in conversation through your dialogue.
- Give students opportunities to use evidence to write, speak, discuss, and debate both inside and outside of school. We must give students lots of opportunities to write about their experiences, their ideas, and their responses to texts.
- Regularly let your students know what you are reading, including over the weekends and breaks.
- Email your students’ parents and share some resources, book suggestions, and ideas for reading at home.