The annual enrollment period is held yearly in the fall.
2018 Annual Enrollment Dates:
- October 1-12 for State and Higher Education
- October 1-26 for Local Education, Local Government and Retirees
Changes in coverage become effective on the following January 1. If eligible, during this time you can:
- Choose your health insurance option*:
- Premier PPO
- Standard PPO
- Limited PPO (local education and local government only)
- CDHP/HSA (state and higher education only - State HSA funds if eligible)
- Local CDHP/HSA (local education and local government only)
- Choose or change your health insurance carrier and network
- BlueCross BlueShield Network S
- Cigna LocalPlus
- Cigna Open Access Plus (monthly surcharge applies)
- Enroll in or cancel health insurance for yourself or your eligible dependents
- Enroll in, cancel or transfer between dental options (if offered by your agency)
- Enroll in, cancel or transfer between vision options (if offered by your agency)
- Enroll in or cancel voluntary accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage (state plan only)
- Apply for, cancel, increase or decrease voluntary term life coverage amounts (state plan only)
- Enroll in Short Term and/or Long Term Disability Insurance (state employees only)
- Enroll in Short Term Disability Insurance (higher education employees only)
- Enroll in flexible benefits (state and higher education employees only)
All eligible employees are sent general information on available healthcare options, premiums, a listing of benefit changes, and service areas for the upcoming year.
The options you choose during the enrollment period take effect the following January 1. After annual enrollment, in most cases you can only add or cancel coverage if you lose eligibility or have a qualifying event or family status change during the year.
A qualifying event or family status change is something that results in a covered person becoming newly eligible for other coverage. Examples include birth, marriage, divorce and new employment. If you or your covered dependent(s) experience one of these events and need to make changes to your coverage, or you need more information about reasons to cancel coverage and who qualifies, contact your agency benefits coordinator.
*Limited PPO is available to local education and local government employees only. If enrolled in a CDHP/HSA, retirees and COBRA participants do not qualify for state HSA funds.