Take Charge of Your Diabetes: Resources
Take Charge of Your Diabetes
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes (the Diabetes Self-Management Program) is a 6-week workshop.
- It teaches real-life skills for living a full, healthy life with diabetes.
- Classes are fun and interactive. Participants share their successes and build a common source of support.
- The workshop builds confidence around managing diabetes, staying active, and enjoying life.
Some counties are now offering:
- Living Well with Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program - a chronic disease self-management workshop that is open to anyone with a physical or mental chronic condition.
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving Self-Management Program – a self-management workshop that specifically targets anyone affected by cancer.
- Two trained leaders at each location. At least one of them has a chronic condition.
- Some sites may charge a small fee to cover the cost of the course materials, which includes a book and a CD.
What You Will Learn:
- Resources, skills, and action planning to give you a sense of greater control over life with diabetes.
- People with diabetes and their family or friends.
- A 6-week program that meets 2 to 2½ hours each week.
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Facts about carbohydrates
- Symptoms of low blood sugar
- Preventing low blood sugar
- Preventing and delaying diabetes complications
- Role of medications in blood sugar control
- Blood sugar control during sick days
- Planning ahead for managing diabetes
- Working with your health care team
- Setting weekly goals
- Effective problem solving
- Better communication
- How to relax
- Safe, easy exercise
Description of Workshops
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes is the same as the Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP) developed by Stanford University.
- For more information, please go to the Self-Management Resource Center at https://www.selfmanagementresource.com.
- Find a workshop near you by calling your local health department or visit the state website at https://www.tn.gov/health/health-program-areas/localdepartments.html for contact information.
Marketing and Other Resources
The Tennessee Take Charge of Your Diabetes program has developed a statewide brand for Diabetes which:
- Allows for better national recognition of the program
- Uses materials (similar to other states) developed by the Tennessee Department of Health
Some organizations have used the logo, images, or tagline in their publications. Click on the links below to view examples of what this looks like.
CDSMP and Diabetes Self-Management Program (CTS) Cross-training
Take Charge of Your Diabetes News Article and Radio Ads
- Sample News Release Template Article (doc)
- Sample Radio PSA
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes Flyer/Poster
University of Tennessee-Extension’s website provides many resources and marketing materials that can be adapted for each program at https://ag.tennessee.edu/fcs/tennessee.edu/tcyd.
Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) Programs
DSME programs help people with diabetes gain the knowledge and skills needed to modify their behavior and successfully self-manage the disease and its related conditions. Learn more and find local programs through the following links:
- American Diabetes Association-Recognized Programs at https://professional.diabetes.org/erp_list_zip/
- American Association of Diabetes Educators-Accredited Programs at https://www.diabeteseducator.org/living-with-diabetes/find-an-education-program
- Self-Management Resource Center’s Diabetes Self-Management Program at https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/online.programs/diabetes/
Prediabetes – Diabetes Prevention Program
Type 2 Diabetes Risk Test online at http://www.diabetes.org/are-you-at-risk/diabetes-risk-test/