Breastfeeding Support in WIC
One of the most highly effective preventive measures a mother can take to protect the health of her infant and herself is to breastfeed. Research has shown that breast milk is the best food for baby’s first year of life. Breastfeeding provides many health, nutritional, economical and emotional benefits to mother and baby. For more information on breastfeeding, call your local health department or 1-800-DIAL WIC (1-800-342-5942) or visit breastfeeding.tn.gov
Breastfeeding Benefits to WIC Mothers
A major goal of the WIC Program is to improve nutrition and health, so WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants. WIC promotes breastfeeding to all pregnant women as the optimal infant feeding choice, unless medically contraindicated.
- WIC mothers choosing to breastfeed are provided information through counseling and breastfeeding educational materials
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding
- Every health department and WIC clnic in Tennessee has a Designated Breastfeeding Expert (DBE). This DBE has advanced lactation training and provides assistance with any breastfeeding issues or questions. Click here to find the DBE within your community!
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
A WIC Brestfeeding Peer Counselor (BFPC) provides mother to mother (paraprofessional) breastfeeding support and basic breastfeeding education. The BFPC program is available to WIC mothers who are pregnant or breastfeeding. BFPCs address barriers to breastfeeding by offering breastfeeding education, support, and role modeling. Currently, Tennessee has 60 BFPCs in 38 counties.
- Tennessee Department of Health - Breastfeeding Main Site
- Tennessee Breastfeeding Hotline - The Tennessee Breastfeeding Hotline is available to nursing mothers and partners, their families, expectant mothers, and health care providers seeking breastfeeding support and information. The Tennessee Breastfeeding Hotline operates 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Breastfeeding Welcomed Here Directory - Breastfeeding Welcomed Here recognizes business that support breastfeeding families. This directory is a listing of public locations where moms can breastfeeding comfrotably and enjoy a welcoming attitude from staff, management, and other patrons while bresatfeeding.
- Tennessee Breastfeeding Laws
- Breastfeeding is Best (English and Spanish)
- Office on Women's Health - Breastfeeding
- La Leche League International or Find a Local La Leche League
- CDC - Breastfeeding Main Site