National Nutrition Month
National Nutrition Month® 2023!
National Nutrition Month® is an annual nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign, celebrated each year during the month of March, focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. In addition, National Nutrition Month® promotes the Academy and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically based food and nutrition information.
National Nutrition Month 2023 Weekly Key Messaging
- Enjoy more plant-based meals and snacks
- Purchase foods with minimal packaging
- Buy foods in season and shop locally when possible
- Start a container or backyard garden to grow food at home
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN
- Find an RDN who specializes in your unique needs
- Learn how nutrient needs may change with age
- Received personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals
- Plan your meals and snacks
- See what food you have at home before purchasing more
- Use a grocery list and shop sales when purchasing food
- Learn about community resources such as SNAP, WIC and local food banks
- Include your favorite cultural foods and traditions
- Eat foods in various forms including fresh, frozen, canned and dried
- Avoid fad diets that promote unnecessary restrictions
- Practice gratitude for your body by giving it the fuel it needs
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills
- Try new flavors and foods from around the world
- Find creative ways to use leftovers rather than tossing them
- Create happy memories by eating with friends and family when possible
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day - March 8, 2023
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day is also in March. This year it falls on Wednesday, March 8, 2023. First celebrated in 2008, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day commemorates the dedication of RDNs as advocates for advancing the nutrition status of Americans and people around the world. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day, celebrated each year on the second Wednesday in March, was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to increase the awareness of registered dietitian nutritionists as the indispensable providers of food and nutrition services. This occasion also serves to recognize both RDNs and nutrition and dietetic technicians, registered for their commitment to helping people enjoy healthy lives.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship, passed an examination, and maintain continuing education.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make personalized, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research private practice and more.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
Celebrate National Nutrition Month
Expand the sections below to check out the resources, activities, and handouts for you and your family.
- Mantenga Una Familia Activa
- Preparando Comida Familiar
- Consejos Para La Merienda
- Coma Saludable con Poco Dinero
- Alimentación Saludable para Familias
- Alimentación Saludable para Niños en Edad Preescolar
- Alimentación Saludable para Niños Pequeños
- Alimentación Saludable para Mujeres Embarazadas o Lactantes