National Nutrition Month
National Nutrition Month® 2022!
National Nutrition Month® is an annual nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign, celebrated each year during the month of March, focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. In addition, National Nutrition Month® promotes the Academy and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically based food and nutrition information.
National Nutrition Month 2022 Weekly Key Messaging
Week one: Eat a variety of nutritious foods
- Include healthful foods from all food groups.
- Learn how to read nutritions facts labels.
- Incorporate your favorite cultural foods and traditions.
Week Two: See a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist(RDN)
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN.
- Find an RDN who specializes in your unique needs.
- Received personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals.
Week Three: Plan your meals and snacks
- Choose healthful recipes to make during the week.
- Use a grocery list to shop for nutritious foods.
- Make healthful food and drink choices when away from home.
Week Four: Create tasty foods at home
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills.
- Try new flavors and foods from around the world.
- Enjoy your meals with friends or family, when possible.
1. Discover the benefits of a healthy eating style.
2. Choose foods and drinks that are good for your health.
3. Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
4. Select healthier options when eating away from home.
5. Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that's right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
6. Keep it simple. Eating right doesn't have to be complicated.
7. Make food safety part of your everyday routine.
8. Help to reduce food waste by considering the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
9. Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
10. Consult the nutrition experts. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can provide sound, easy-to-follow nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day is also in March. This year it falls on Wednesday, March 9, 2022. First celebrated in 2008, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day commemorates the dedication of RDNs as advocates for advancing the nutrition status of Americans and people around the world. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day, celebrated each year on the second Wednesday in March, was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to increase the awareness of registered dietitian nutritionists as the indispensable providers of food and nutrition services. This occasion also serves to recognize both RDNs and nutrition and dietetic technicians, registered for their commitment to helping people enjoy healthy lives.
Key Messages for National Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship, passed an examination, and maintain continuing education.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make personalized, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research private practice and more.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
Celebrate National Nutrition Month
Click the images below to check out the recipes, activities, and handouts for you and your family.
- Be An Active Family
- Making Family Meals
- Snack Tips for Parents
- Eating Healthy on a Budget
- Healthy Eating for Families
- Healthy Eating for Preschoolers
- Healthy Eating for Toddlers
- Healthy Eating for Women Who Are Pregnant or Breastfeeding
Folletos de MyPlate
- Mantenga Una Familia Activa
- Preparando Comida Familiar
- Consejos Para La Merienda
- Coma Saludable con Poco Dinero
- Alimentación Saludable para Familias
- Alimentación Saludable para Niños en Edad Preescolar
- Alimentación Saludable para Niños Pequeños
- Alimentación Saludable para Mujeres Embarazadas o Lactantes