The Tennessee WIC Program has over 800 participating grocers and pharmacies that are currently authorized to accept WIC Food Instruments (FIs) or TNWIC electronic benefits (EBT) in all 14 regions of the state. In addition, authorized groceries also accept Cash Value Vouchers (CVVs) or Cash Value Benefits (CVBs) for fruits and vegetables.
To participate in the Tennessee WIC Program, WIC grocers must:
- Be authorized to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (formerly Food Stamps)
- Carry a “market basket” of staple foods
- Have annual sales of WIC food items no more than 50% of the store's total food sales
- Stock the minimum amount of WIC-approved foods
- Have prices comparable with other vendors of similar type in their region
- Participate in training prior to initial authorization and at least once every 12 months to ensure that WIC policies and procedures are followed and that WIC transactions are handled appropriately
Note: Pharmacies are only authorized to accept TNWIC EBT cards for specialized infant formulas and WIC-eligible nutritionals.
Vendors are monitored on a regular basis by Regional Vendor Management staff and are subject to undercover investigations to verify compliance with the Program.
For additional information and forms, click on the links below.
How to Become a WIC Vendor
- Submit a completed 2022 - 2024 General Application to the Regional Office in your area. Click here to find your Regional Office contact.
- Submit a copy of your SNAP authorization with your completed WIC application (if available). You must submit a copy of your SNAP authorization before you can be authorized as a WIC Vendor. Faxed or scanned and e-mailed copies are acceptable but must be followed up by mailing the original to the Regional Office.
- Submit a "Grocer Price Report (GPR)" for regular stocked WIC food items. Faxed or scanned and e-mailed copies are acceptable.
- Submit a "Therapeutic Formula and WIC-Eligible Nutritionals Price Report (TPR)" if you carry any of these products.
- Submit a completed 2022 - 2024 Pharmacy Application to the Regional Office in your area. Click here to find your Regional Office contact.
- Submit a copy of your SNAP authorization if authorized to accept SNAP benefits. Authorization cannot be completed until the SNAP information is available. Faxed or scanned and e-mailed copies are acceptable but must be followed up by mailing the original to the Regional Office.
- Submit a "Therapeutic Formula and WIC-Eligible Nutritionals Price Report (TPR)"
Note to All Vendors: Refer to "Other Important Information" below for guidance concerning eligible WIC foods and required quantities, program policies and procedures and a listing of local WIC offices.
- All authorized groceries and pharmacies are expected to follow the terms of their agreement or face disciplinary action and/or termination of their agreement. The Department’s decision to renew an agreement is based on the vendor’s previous performance.
- Various aspects such as maintaining minimum stock of WIC approved foods, keeping prices within acceptable guidelines, following polices and guidelines with respect to the processing TNWIC EBT transactions are taught and monitored by Regional Vendor Management staff. In addition, all vendors are subject to undercover investigations to verify compliance with their agreement.