TNWIC is Here!
The Tennessee WIC Program is moving from the paper-based delivery of WIC benefits to an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) system. For more information about TNWIC (including to submit a UPC request), click here.
To request a copy of the Approved Product List (APL), contact Valerie Simms at Valarie.Simms@conduent.com
The Tennessee WIC Program has over 800 participating grocers and pharmacies that are currently authorized to accept WIC Food Instruments (FIs) or TNWIC electronic benefits (EBT) in all 14 regions of the state. In addition, authorized groceries also accept Cash Value Vouchers (CVVs) or Cash Value Benefits (CVBs) for fruits and vegetables.
To participate in the Tennessee WIC Program, WIC grocers must:
- Be authorized to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (formerly Food Stamps)
- Carry a “market basket” of staple foods
- Have annual sales of WIC food items no more than 50% of the store's total food sales
- Stock the minimum amount of WIC-approved foods
- Have prices comparable with other vendors of similar type in their region
- Participate in training prior to initial authorization and at least once every 12 months to ensrue that WIC policies and procedures are followed and that WIC transactions are handled appropriately
Note: Pharmacies are only authorized to accept WIC FIs or TNWIC EBT for specialized infant formulas and WIC-eligible nutritionals.
Vendors are monitored on a regular basis by Regional Vendor Management staff and are subject to undercover investigations to verify compliance with the Program.
For additional information and forms, click on the links below.
How to Become a WIC Vendor
- Submit a completed 2019 - 2021 General Application (PH-2601) to the Regional Office in your area. Click here to find your Regional Office contact.
- Submit a copy of your SNAP authorization with your completed WIC application (if available). You must submit a copy of your SNAP authorization before you can be authorized as a WIC Vendor. Faxed or scanned and e-mailed copies are acceptable but must be followed up by mailing the original to the Regional Office.
- Submit a "Grocer Price Report" (GPR) (PH-3215) for regular stocked WIC food items. Faxed or scanned and e-mailed copies are acceptable.
- Submit a "Therapeutic Formula and WIC-Eligible Nutritionals Price Report" (TPR) (PH-4200) if you carry any of these products.
- Submit a completed 2019 - 2021 Pharmacy Application (PH-2601) to the Regional Office in your area. Click here to find your Regional Office contact.
- Submit a copy of your SNAP authorization if authorized to accept SNAP benefits. Authorization cannot be completed until the SNAP information is available. Faxed or scanned and e-mailed copies are acceptable but must be followed up by mailing the original to the Regional Office.
- Submit a "Therapeutic Formula and WIC-Eligible Nutritionals Price Report" (TPR) (PH-4200)
Note to All Vendors: Refer to "Other Important Information" below for guidance concerning eligible WIC foods and required quantities, program policies and procedures and a listing of local WIC offices.
- All authorized groceries and pharmacies are expected to follow the terms of their agreement or face disciplinary action and/or termination of their agreement. The Department’s decision to renew an agreement is based on the vendor’s previous performance.
- Various aspects such as maintaining minimum stock of WIC approved foods, keeping prices within acceptable guidelines, following polices and guidelines with respect to the handling and depositing WIC vouchers or processing WIC EBT transactions are taught and monitored by Regional Vendor Management staff. In addition, all vendors are subject to undercover investigations to verify compliance with their agreement.
Other Important Information
Policy and Procedures
- Vendor Handbook for 2019 - 2021
- Vendor Agreement for 2019 - 2021
- Pharmacy Agreement for 2019 - 2021
- Approved List of Suppliers of Infant Formula for 2019 - 2020
- Guide to WIC EBT for Tennessee Retailers
- Federal Laws and Regulations
- WIC State Regulations
WIC Food Packages Information
- Food Package Policy for 2019 - 2021
- Minimum Stock Requirements for 2019 - 2021
- Approved WIC Foods for Infants for 2016-2018 (Extended through September 30, 2019)
- Approved WIC Foods for Women and Children for 2016-2018 (Extended through September 30, 2019)
- Vendor Training Powerpoint for 2019 - 2020
- Vendor Training for 2019 - 2020 (MS Word)