TNSTRONG Teen Ambassador Program
What is TNSTRONG?
TNSTRONG (Tennessee Stop Tobacco and Revolutionize Our New Generation) is a youth-led, statewide movement committed to raising awareness of the dangers of tobacco and fighting against the tobacco industry's influence on Tennessee youth.
Objective of TNSTRONG Teen Ambassador Program
Lead, inspire, engage, and share tobacco prevention resources across Tennessee.
TNSTRONG Teen Ambassadors
The TNSTRONG Teen Ambassadors plan, implement, and participate in tobacco education and advocacy events across the state. They play an active role within their communities, counties, and statewide. They engage in local and statewide activism, educate their peers on tobacco-related issues, and inspire/motivate others to start taking action. These select youth leaders will receive specialized in-person and web-based training to advance their knowledge and further their advocacy skills.
The TNSTRONG Teen Ambassadors are the guiding body for the TNSTRONG movement throughout Tennessee, with supervision provided locally and overseen by the Tennessee Department of Health Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Program.
What to Expect
Teen Ambassadors will have the opportunity to meet many people with different personalities and potentially make lifelong friends. They may have opportunities to travel and be exposed to new environments, cultures, values, and perspectives. They will initiate, plan, and participate in local, and possibly statewide, events and may meet and interact with legislators. They will develop leadership skills and the understanding necessary to harness the power of youth advocacy for tobacco use prevention and education.
The TNSTRONG Teen Ambassador Program is open to rising 9th -12th graders. Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum G.P.A of 2.5 and maintain that average throughout their term of two years for rising 9th-11th graders, and one year term for rising 12th graders.
- Read and agree to the TA Commitment Agreement
- 70 % participation in conference calls every month
- Must be in good academic standing with a minimum G.P.A of 2.5 and maintain that average throughout their term.
- Have reliable, consistent internet access.
- Contribute information/updates/queries from their region during conference calls.
- Attend Annual TNSTRONG Youth Summit.
- 100% attendance for in-person meetings unless excused.
- Regularly check and respond to program emails within 48 hour of receipt.
- Participate in at least one advocacy at their school.
- Assist in planning and leading nationwide tobacco events within their county (Kick Butts Day, No Tobacco Day, etc.)
- Deliver at least two presentations to youth and/or adults by June 30 of each year.
- Stay current on tobacco prevention and advocacy through articles, videos, and trainigns as assigned.
- Communicate regularly and in a timely maner with local and regional coordinators, TDH, consultants, and fellow TA''s.
- Promote TNSTRONG via social media and recruit followers.
Check back in May of 2020 for the TNSTRONG Youth Ambassador 2020-2022 application material.
Applications due August 1, 2020.