Governor's Local Government Support Grants
Gov. Bill Lee, with support of the General Assembly, established the Local Government Support Grants in response to local government needs and impact of COVID-19 in Tennessee.
• Funds will be available after 7/1/2020.
• Applications are available here (click link). Guidance for the applications is provided here. And, a sample local resolution is provided here.
• Grants are one-time funding and are to be used on one-time expenses. Grant funds for new building construction are not permitted.
• Grant funds will apply only to city and county governments. They are not eligible to be passed through to other entities.
Questions? Check these frequently asked questions.
• Funding is based on population as published by the US Census Bureau (7/1/2018 data).
• No county will receive less than $500,000 and no city or municipality will receive less than $30,000.
• The three metro governments (Davidson, Trousdale counties) will receive one allocation, whichever is largest.
Permitted Spending Categories
1) IT hardware upgrades
2) Capital maintenance*
3) Utility system upgrades
4) Road Projects*
5) Public safety*
6) COVID-19 response
* Could include tornado relief projects for Benton, Bradley, Carroll, Davidson, Gibson, Hamilton, Marion, Monroe, Polk, Putnam, Scott, Smith, Unicoi, Washington and Wilson counties.
- Funds will be distributed by F&A as a direct appropriation grant after 7/1/20.
- Applications are to be submitted to F&A for review and approval.
- Required documents:
1) Application (including budget)
3) Resolution passed by the local governing body
Click here for grant details
Click here for county distributions.
Click here for city distributions.
Gov. Bill Lee: Local Government Grants Available
Application & Grant Contact:
Troy Williamson, Localgov.Grants@tn.gov
TN Department of Finance and Administration, Budget Office
Bryan Burklin, Bryan.Burklin@cot.tn.gov
TN Comptroller of the Treasury, Division of Local Government Audit
Last updated: May 12, 2020