New in 2018
The state is pleased to offer Voluntary Disability Insurance benefits to full-time state and higher education employees. Disability benefits are provided by MetLife. Call 855.700.8001 or go to metlife.com/StateofTN for more information.
Why is having Disability Insurance important?
If you are unable to work due to illness or injury, disability insurance can help pay your most important expenses. These include:
- Mortgage or rent
- Car payments
- Child care/tuition
Important information if you are thinking about enrolling in coverage:
- For this Annual Enrollment Period only, there will be no questions asked about your health.
- Full-time state employees may enroll in Voluntary Short Term Disability Insurance and/or Voluntary Long Term Disability Insurance.
- Full-time higher education employees may enroll in Voluntary Short Term Disability Insurance.
- Higher education employees should contact their agency benefits coordinators for more information on Long Term Disability Insurance available to them.
- Those who enroll will pay 100% of the premium with after-tax dollars. By paying with after-tax dollars, any benefits paid to you will result in a tax free benefit.
- If you intend to enroll in both Short Term and Long Term Disability, you should consider enrolling in one of the Long Term Disability options with a 180 day elimination period. The 26-week Short Term Disability Insurance will best cover the 180 day Elimination Period for your Long Term Disability, at a lower monthly cost.
- You must use all of your Accrued Leave (Sick, Annual and Compensatory time) before your disability payments begin.
Short Term Disability Insurance (available to state and higher education employees)
Short Term Disability Insurance replaces a portion of your income during a disability, which could last up to 26 weeks. It may be good for those who:
- Have little Annual or Sick Leave
- Take part in high-risk activities
- Don’t have six-month emergency funds
Long Term Disability Insurance (available to state employees only)
Long Term Disability Insurance replaces a portion of your income during a disability that is expected to last for an extended period of time. This period of time is typically longer than 90 or 180 days. It may be good for those who:
- Need their income to pay for housing, food and other bills
- Would have trouble supporting themselves if out of work more than 90 days
The State Group Insurance Long Term Disability and Short Term Disability Insurance plans are both managed by MetLife. Please call the MetLife State of Tennessee Dedicated Customer Service Line with questions: 855.700.8001, Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Central time. Or visit, https://www.metlife.com/StateofTN
Higher Education employees should contact your agency benefits coordinator at your institution for more information on Long Term Disability Insurance available to you.