The Water and Wastewater Operator Certification Act (TCA 68-221-910) gives the Certification Board the authority to grant reciprocity without an examination to those operators certified in other states providing the requirements for certification in that state are comparable to or greater than the requirements in Tennessee. Such issuance of a certificate may be contingent upon reciprocal privileges being granted by that state to an operator from Tennessee.
- The operator must request reciprocity by submitting an application and corresponding supplement sheet for each certification. A complete application must be received sixty (60) days or more in advance of the scheduled Board meeting date for consideration.
- Application for Certificate of Competency (CN-0704)
- Supplement A - Water Filtration Plant Classification Worksheet
- Supplement B - Wastewater Treatment Plant Classification Worksheet
- The Certification office will send a verification form to the appropriate state for completion.
- After receiving the completed verification form from the reciprocating state, the application will be presented to the Board at the next meeting. You will be notified of the meeting date and the staff recommendation prior to the board meeting.
- Upon approval by the Board, your certificate will be mailed to you.
- The current fee for the application is $100.
- For more information regarding the reciprocity process, please refer to the Rules Governing Water and Wastewater Operator Certification.
How to Submit an Application for Reciprocity:
- A complete application must be received (60) days or more in advance of the scheduled Board meeting date for consideration. Applications received less than sixty (60) days prior to the Board meeting date will be reviewed at the next Board meeting.
- Make check or money order payable to Treasurer, State of Tennessee.
- Mail application, all supporting documentation, and $100.00 application fee to:
Operator Certification Board
Julian R. Fleming Training Center
2022 Blanton Drive
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
2023 Water & Wastewater Operator Certification Board Meeting Dates:
- January 12-13, 2023
- Reciprocity Application Deadline: November 12, 2022
- April 6-7, 2023
- Reciprocity Application Deadline: March 4, 2023
- July 13-14, 2023
- Reciprocity Application Deadline: May 20, 2023
- September 7-6, 2023
- Reciprocity Application Deadline: August 5, 2023
Contact & Location Information
2022 Blanton Dr.
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM CST