Awards and Recognition
The first Go Green With Us Awards Ceremony was held April 20th, 2018 in recognition of Earth Day. Twenty-six TN State Parks were recognized for having achieved a recognition level in the Go Green With Us program. The program has four different tiers of sustainability that parks can reach through a point-based system earned through completing recommended guidelines. The tiers consist of Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Below are the parks with their corresponding earned recognition level.
Sustainability highlights of some of the above recognized state parks include:
- Montgomery Bell State Park received a national award for their on-site composting operation and participating in the EPA’s Food Recovery Challenge, which saved the park nearly $4,000 in diverted solid waste fees in the first year of participation.
2. Henry Horton State Park's restaurant also participates in the Food Recovery Challenge and received a regional award from the EPA. They also have a green house and garden that provides produce for the restaurant, as well as participate in the TSP Honey Project.
3. Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park is the first state park in Tennessee to be 100 percent upgraded to LEDs throughout the entire park.
4. Johnsonville State Historic Park is one of the first parks to host a Go Green education and outreach event teaching Jr. Rangers the importance of reducing plastic bottle waste by decorating their own canteens to use and keep.
5. Norris Dam Sate Park upgraded their recycling program by building their own recycling bins, divided recycling trailer, and educational signage.
If you would like to learn more about what TN State Parks are doing to Go Green, please click here