Notification of Asbestos Demolition or Renovation
Who Must File A Notification?
Persons involved with the removal of Regulated Asbestos-Containing Material (RACM) during facility renovation and/or demolition must file a notification with the Tennessee Division of Air Pollution Control (APC). A notification is required for the removal, renovation and/or demolition of asbestos where quantities exceed 260 linear feet or more on pipes, 160 square feet or more on other facility components, or 35 cubic feet or more off facility components where the length or area could not be measured previously. Notification to APC is required of any demolition (includes intentional burning) even if there is no asbestos.
Exemptions include nonfriable asbestos containing materials, packings, gaskets, resilient floor covering and asphalt roofing products that when dry, cannot be crumbled, pulverized or reduced to powder by hand pressure.
What Information Must I Provide?
A completed Notification of Asbestos Demolition or Renovation Application (Form CN-1055) must be submitted at least 10 working days before the asbestos stripping or removal work begins. Information requested includes:
- Type of notification: original or revised
- Name, address and telephone number of both the facility owner and operator and the asbestos removal contractor owner or operator
- Type of operation: demolition or renovation
- Whether or not asbestos is present in the building
- Name, address and site location of the facility
- Procedure and analytical method used to detect the presence of RACM
- Approximate amount of asbestos in the work area
- Dates for asbestos removal or renovation/demolition
- Description of planned demolition/renovation work methods to be used
- Description of work practices and engineering controls to be used to prevent emission of asbestos
- Waste transporter and disposal site name, address and telephone number
- Name of government agency if demolition was ordered by a government agency
|Form Description||Form Number|
|Notification of Demolition and/or Asbestos Renovation||CN-1055|
|Asbestos Waste Shipment Record||CN-1054|
How Will My Application Be Processed?
Upon receiving a completed application, the Division reviews the application and contacts the applicant within 10 days if there are any deficiencies. If the application is accepted, the applicant will not be contacted and may proceed with the planned activity.
What Fees Are Required?
What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The Notification Is Approved?
The applicant may proceed with the planned activities and must comply with the procedures for asbestos emission controls and other requirements of the Tennessee Asbestos Rules.
What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Notification Is Approved?
The Division has the right to conduct site inspections when deemed necessary. Violations of any standards or procedures can result in civil penalties up to a maximum of $25,000 per day.
Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Information?
Applicants located in Davidson, Hamilton, Knox or Shelby counties must contact the applicable county air permit agency. For all other counties, applications and assistance can be obtained by contacting the Division of Air Pollution Control. New applicants who need more than one permit can contact their Environmental Field Office for further assistance.
- Notifications for Demolition and/or Asbestos Renovation activities conducted at state owned facilities in the counties of Davidson, Hamilton, Knox, and Shelby are to be submitted to the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Division of Air Pollution Control.