Skip to Main Content

Household Hazardous Waste Mobile Collection Service in Coffee, Maury and Overton Counties on Sept. 9

Tuesday, September 05, 2017 | 03:20pm

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation’s (TDEC) mobile household hazardous waste collection service will be in Coffee, Maury and Overton Counties on Saturday, Sept. 9. Since the program’s inception in 1993, more than 342,000 households have properly disposed of more than 22 million pounds of material.

“It is our goal to make disposing of household hazardous waste convenient and reliable for Tennessee citizens, and at no cost,” said Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation Commissioner Bob Martineau. “Every spring and fall we roll out these events statewide to ensure unneeded waste is not posing a risk to citizens.”

Any Tennessee resident is encouraged to bring their household hazardous waste – including cleaning fluids, pesticides, batteries, and more – to the designated drop-off locations. You do not need to live in the county listed to participate in the event. (Note that hours listed indicate the local time for events.)

Coffee County – Tullahoma Public Works, 942 Maplewood Ave. in Tullahoma from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Karen Keith at (931) 454-1768.
Maury County – Maury County Solid Waste Dept., 1233 Lawson White Dr. in Columbia from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Mike Sweeney at (931) 375-6400.
Overton County – Overton County Fairgrounds, 615 Monterey Highway in Livingston from 8 a.m.-noon. The local contract for this HHW collection event is Bill Sells at (931) 823-8665.

HHW material is considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage. Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent lamps, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals,  paint thinner and used needles in sturdy containers.  Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics and any empty containers that should be disposed in normal trash. 

While household waste may be disposed for free, there is a cost for disposal of Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Waste (i.e. wastes from non-household sources such as businesses, schools, farms, churches, etc.). An appointment is also necessary. Call (615) 643-3170 to request a price quote and schedule an appointment.

Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE, as it is sometimes called. When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events. Contact your local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in your area.

When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets. Materials should be kept in the original containers whenever possible. If not, place each waste in a separate plastic container with a secure lid and label its contents.  

For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, please call 1-800-287-9013 or visit

Tennesseans can also sign up for TDEC’s HHW enewsletter to receive updates on when a collection event will be nearby at