The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's list of cultural resources considered worthy of preservation. In Tennessee, the staff of the Tennessee Historical Commission administers this program. Three times a year, the State Review Board meets to recommend properties for listing in the National Register.
There are over 2000 entries in the National Register from Tennessee. Every county in the state has at least one entry. For additional information on the National Register program, contact the Tennessee Historical Commission at 615/532-1550 or the National Register of Historic Places.
The Second Presbyterian Church in Memphis, today known as Clayborn Temple, was listed in the National Register in 1979 for its local importance in architecture and social history. An updated nomination for Clayborn Temple recognizes the national importance of the building due to its role in the 1968 Memphis Sanitation Strike. Built in 1892 the building was first the home of the Second Presbyterian Church. In 1949 the African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased the building and renamed it Clayborn Temple. The church was a meeting place and training center for striking workers and supporters of the workers during Memphis’ strike. This key event is nationally recognized as the convergence of the Civil Rights movement, labor movement, and working conditions and pay for African Americans. “I am a Man” signs were printed here and notable Civil Rights leaders, such as Martin Luther King, spoke at the church.
Located near the courthouse square in Wartburg, the Tanner Store is a multi-use building that began as the Citizens Bank and Trust in 1906. In 1923, the building was enlarged to add a general store. Architecturally, the prominent features of the building on the exterior include the large windows, corner entry, ornamental brackets, and expanse of porches. The interior contains historic wood cabinets and seating. The general store has served as an important commercial and social resource in the community since its opening, while the former bank section has had several uses. John and Maud Tanner ran the general store, which included a pharmacy and restaurant until the first half of the 20th century, when other family members took over. Today, the Tanner Store is the longest run family-owned general store in continuous operation in the county
Located in Germantown, the most striking historic resource on the 350-acre Wildwood Farms is the 1935 horse barn that is visible from Germantown Road. The two-story brick stable has Colonial Revival details and contains 18,000 square feet. Landscape architect Paul Mueller and horse trainer Garland Bradshaw worked with Wildwood Farms owner William L. Taylor to build the stable. Founded in 1935, the farm first trained and bred American Saddlebred horses and in 1959 changed to American Thoroughbred horses. The principal farm complex also includes a manager’s house and outbuildings, a blacksmith shop/pump house, a laundry, and a laborer’s house. The historic landscape of the property consists of field patterns, pastures, a horse track, roads, and mature trees. Wildwood Farms is still owned by one of Taylors.