Textbook and Instructional Materials Quality Commission
The State Textbook and Instructional Materials Quality Commission is composed of 10 members whose responsibility is to recommend an official list of textbooks and instructional materials for approval of the State Board of Education. By law, the Commission includes:
- two directors of schools,
- a principal,
- one teacher or supervisor from grades K-3,
- one teacher or supervisor from grades 4-8,
- one teacher or supervisor from grades 9-12, and
- one member not employed in the educational system of the state from each of the three grand divisions of the state.
These nine of the members are appointed as follows:
- The speaker of the senate shall appoint one member from each grand division of the state;
- The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint one member from each grand division of the state; and
- The governor shall appoint one member from each grand division of the state.
The Commissioner of Education, a deputy commissioner or an assistant commissioner of education serving as the commissioner’s designee, shall be an ex officio secretary of the commission, with the right to vote, and shall serve without additional compensation for such service.
|Name||Position||Term||Grand Division||Apointed By|
|Karen Clark||4-8 Teacher/Instructional Supervisor||12/18/18-6/30/2021||East||Governor|
|Dr. Penny Schwinn||Commissioner of Education, Ex Officio Secretary||1/19-||N/A|
|Frank Cagle||East Tn Lay Member||8/17/2017-12/31/2019||East||Lt. Governor|
||Director of Schools City System||8/31/18- 06/30/2020||West||Lt. Governor|
|Michele Bowman||K-3 Teacher
||8/31/18- 06/30/2021||East||House of Representatives|
|Dean Mills||9-12 Teacher/Instructional Supervisor||East||House of Representatives|
|Vacant||Middle TN Lay Member||Middle||House of Representatives|
|Vacant||West TN Lay Member||West||Governor|
|Vacant||Director of Schools||Middle||House of Representatives|
Before members of the Commission begin to discharge their duties, they shall take and subscribe to the following oath: "I do hereby declare that I am not now directly or indirectly financially interested in, or employed by, any textbook or instructional materials publisher or agency, and that I will not become directly or indirectly financially interested in any of the proposed contracts, nor in any book or instructional materials, nor in any publishing concern handling or offering any books or other publications to the commission, of which I am a member, for listing and adoption, and I do hereby promise that I will act honestly, faithfully and conscientiously, and in all respects will discharge my duty as a member of this commission to the best of my skill and ability."