SNP Civil Rights

All agencies and institutions participating in the School Nutrition Program must develop a written complaint procedure for discrimination, disseminate this information to all food service staff, and make the complaint procedure available to all program recipients.

All agencies and institutions shall keep a record of all discrimination complaints, both written and verbal, for a period of three years plus the current year.

All agencies and institutions will record all verbal and written complaints of discrimination and forward those complaints to the department’s Office for Civil Rights within 180 days.

To file a complaint with TDOE, you may contact Christy Ballard, Staff Attorney at phone (615) 741-2921, fax: (615) 532-4791, or email:

Additional information on the department's Office for Civil Rights.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

The vendor hereby agrees that it will comply with:

i.              Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq.);

ii.             Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.);

iii.            Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 794);

iv.           Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (42 U.S.C. 6101 et seq.);

v.            Title II and Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as amended by the ADA Amendment Act of 2008 (42 U.S.C. 12131-12189);

vi.           Executive Order 13166, "Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency." (August 11, 2000);

vii.          All provisions required by the implementing regulations of the Department of Agriculture (USDA) (7 CFR Part 15 et seq.);

viii.         Department of Justice Enforcement Guidelines (28 CFR Parts 35, 42 and 50.3);

ix.           Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) directives and guidelines to the effect that, no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subject to discrimination under any program or activity for which the Program applicant receives Federal financial assistance from USDA; and hereby gives assurance that it will immediately take measures necessary to effectuate this Agreement.

x.            The USDA non-discrimination statement that in accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs).

This assurance is given in consideration of and for the purpose of obtaining any and all Federal financial assistance, grants, and loans of Federal funds, reimbursable expenditures, grant, or donation of Federal property and interest in property, the detail of Federal personnel, the sale and lease of, and the permission to use Federal property or interest in such property or the furnishing of services without consideration or at a nominal consideration, or at a consideration that is reduced for the purpose of assisting the recipient, or in recognition of the public interest to be served by such sale, lease, or furnishing of services to the recipient, or any improvements made with Federal financial assistance extended to the Program applicant by USDA. This includes any Federal agreement, arrangement, or other contract that has as one of its purposes the provision of cash assistance for the purchase of food, and cash assistance for purchase or rental of food service equipment or any other financial assistance extended in reliance on the representations and agreements made in this assurance.