Charter School Application Materials
Due Date: On or before April 1 of the year preceding the year in which the proposed public charter school plans to begin operation, the sponsor shall file applications as follows by the close of the business day:
- The number of hard copies required by the LEA (no more than 5) and one electronic copy of the complete application to the director of schools for the local board of education considering the charter school application, AND
- One electronic copy of the complete application to the Tennessee Department of Education, Office of Charter Schools. Email or submission via online file transfer service (e.g., box.net) is preferred. But submission via CD, USB drive, or other portable media is acceptable.
The same number of copies of any updates or revisions submitted during the review process should also be submitted to the above entities.
Note: Some LEAs may have supplementary guidance for their application process. Though we have tried to include those materials below, please contact the LEA well in advance of submitting your application for any additional guidance.
Note: Legislation passed during the 2017 session of the Tennessee General Assembly permits charter authorizers to charge a charter school application fee of up to $2,500 for each charter school application.
Applying for a Charter?
More information is available at Tennessee School Charter Center: Programs & Resources.
Planning and Authorization Documents
- Forming Charter Schools in Tennessee
- Starting a High-Quality Charter School (Checklist)
- The Application Process (Flowchart)
- Authorization Timeline
- Vacant and Underutilized Facilities – MNPS, SCS
New Charter Schools
- Letter of Intent, Deadline: February 1, 2019
- Application Reference Guide
- 2019 Charter Application, Deadline: April 1, 2019
- 2019 Application Budget Document, Deadline: April 1, 2019
- Application Scoring Rubric
- Charter and ASD Funding Overview FY18
- Portfolio Summary Template (for use with Replication Application)
- Additional Application Requirements