Educator Licensure & Preparation
The department works to issue licenses efficiently to Tennessee educators in accordance with legislative codes and state board rules and regulations and policies. The office of educator licensure and preparation is responsible for the issuance of all Tennessee educator licenses, and approval of educator preparation programs.
- Initial In-state Licensure applications received the week of March 22nd, 2021
- Out of State Licensure applications received the week of February 22nd, 2021
- Renewal applications received the week of March 1st, 2021
- Advancement applications received the week of March 1st, 2021
- Additional Degrees applications received the week of March 15th, 2021
- Endorsement applications received the week of March 1st, 2021
- Instructional Leadership Licensure applications received the week of February 22nd, 2021
- Reactivation applications received the week of March 1st, 2021
To help us process applications efficiently, please wait at least six weeks after submitting your application before contacting our office with any concerns.
If you would like to print a copy of your Tennessee teaching license, please follow the steps below to view and print your license:
- Visit https://tdoe.tncompass.org/Public/Search
- Enter your first and last name or license number
- Select “View License”
- Select “Print”
The printed version of your Tennessee teaching license will be official, however, please note that at this time our system does not allow for a printed copy suitable for framing.
Manage Your Tennessee License
To apply for a new Tennessee license or take action on a current license, visit TNCompass. First time users will need to register for an account. All licensure transactions (e.g., apply, advance, renew, etc.) must be submitted electronically through TNCompass. The department no longer accepts paper applications.
Tennessee Teacher Job Connection
The department has created a resource for teachers seeking employment in Tennessee districts. Job-seeking teachers are encouraged to visit to connect with HR professionals from districts across the state. Interested educators should complete this form. New interest forms are shared with Tennessee districts on a weekly basis.
Contact the Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation
Licensure Inquiries: Educator.Licensure@tn.gov
Preparation Inquiries: Educator.Preparation@tn.gov
9th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243