Student Withdrawal from the IEA Program

For more information on withdrawing from the IEA Program, see Chapter 8 of the 2023-24 IEA Program Account Holder Handbook..

Account holders should consider the following before withdrawing a student from the IEA Program:

  • The IEA Program has one enrollment application window each school year. If a student is withdrawn from the IEA Program, the student would be ineligible to enroll back into the IEA Program until the following school year, at which time the student would be considered a “New Student” and would be required to reapply and meet all IEA eligibility requirements at the time of application. 
  • Parents/guardians must ensure their student is meeting the compulsory school attendance requirements set by law. Tennessee law, T.C.A. § 49-6-3001, requires children ages 6–17 (inclusive) to attend school. 18 year olds are not required to attend school. Certain children ages 6–17 may be temporarily excused from attendance if they meet the exceptions outlined in T.C.A. § 49-6-3005; however, the local board of education "shall be the sole judge in all such cases." The exiting account holder may enroll their child in public school at any time after withdrawing from the IEA Program, home school, keep the student enrolled in the non-public school the child is currently attending, or enroll their child in another non-public school.
  • If a student withdraws from the IEA Program and returns to a public school, the credits earned at the participating non-public school may not be accepted as credit by the public school. Participation in the IEA Program does not guarantee that credits earned at participating schools and/or home schools will transfer to a public school. The transfer of credits shall be in compliance with state board rule 0520-01-03-.03. Testing may be required to receive credit for courses. Parents should contact the LEA in which the student resides to determine whether or not credits will transfer.


IEA Team

Leave a voicemail at (615) 253-3781 or
send an email to