Appeals Process for Applicants and Account Holders
In accordance with SBE Rule 0520-01-11-.10, an account holder may appeal any department decision regarding the following determinations:
- a denial of determination of eligibility;
- a denial of an expense paid using IEA funds; and/or
- department removal of the student from the IEA Program.
To appeal a department decision, the account holder must complete the following:
- Step 1: Step One appeals shall be reviewed by the Department. Step One appeals must be submitted to the Department within fourteen (14) calendar days of the Department electronically sending the determination that is being appealed. The day that the Department sends the determination shall not count as part of the fourteen (14) calendar days. To file a step one appeal, complete the step 1 UAPA Appeal Form posted on the IEA webpage and email the completed form to IEA.Questions@tn.gov. Appeal forms submitted after the deadline, incomplete appeal forms, or appeal forms with vague language that does not clearly articulate the issue on appeal will not be reviewed. The Department shall make a determination and issue an electronic notification to the appealing party within forty-five (45) calendar days of receiving the Step One appeal.
- Step 2: If the Department denies the Step One appeal, the appealing party may file a Step Two appeal. Step Two appeals shall be reviewed by an administrative law judge in accordance with the procedures set forth in the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act, T.C.A. §§ 4-5-301 et seq. Step Two appeals must be submitted to the Department within thirty (30) calendar days of the Department electronically sending the Step One determination. The day that the Department sends the Step One determination shall not count as part of the thirty (30) calendar days. To file a UAPA appeal, please complete the UAPA Appeal Form posted on the IEA webpage After the UAPA appeal form has been submitted to the department, you will be notified by an administrative law judge who will set the date and time of your hearing.