Safe Schools Act
Safe Schools Act funds are provided to decrease the likelihood of violent or disruptive behavior and to protect students and staff from harm when such behavior may occur.
The funds are available to all Tennessee public school districts and may be used for one or more of the following purposes:
- Facility security and planning
- School safety personnel
- Violence prevention
- Training and drills
- Behavioral health
FY 21 Safe Schools and SRO Grants
Before adjourning, the General Assembly appropriated $20 million in recurring funds for FY 21 school safety grants. As in prior years, the final funding and match amounts for Safe Schools will not be available until the BEP is finalized; however, districts may use their FY 20 grant amounts as an estimate.
Additionally, funding previously appropriated for the placement of school resource officers remains available Districts that received an SRO grant in the current year are eligible to apply for second year funding. Districts with schools that did not have an SRO during the 2019-20 school year are also eligible for funding.
A timeline for both grant application processes is below.
- June 1, 2020 SRO grant application released in ePlan.
- July 17, 2020 Safe Schools grant application released in ePlan.
- July 17, 2020 Deadline for receipt of SRO grant application.
- September 30, 2020 Deadline for receipt of Safe Schools applications.