Process for Completing Fingerprinting Background Checks
Agencies with Employees
1. Agencies must obtain/set up an Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) number for their organization. To establish an ORI number and user agreement with Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) agencies must submit a letter of purpose on agency letterhead to TBI, which includes the following information:
a. Reason/need to establish ORI number,
b. Type of agency/business needing fingerprint-based background check,
c. Type of services provided by the agency,
d. Recipient of the services provided by the agency,
e. Licensing agency, if applicable, or if your agency is licensed through the state of Tennessee, indicate what department of the state (e.g. Board of Education), and
f. First page of your contract with Tennessee’s Early Intervention System (TEIS).
Once you’ve submitted your letter of purpose to TBI, a user agreement will be sent from TBI to your agency for completion. Complete to agreement and return to TBI. This is the final step to receive an ORI number. Questions about establishing ORI numbers may be directed to TBI, Melissa Smith, at Melissa.R.Smith@tn.gov.
Send completed information to:
Fax: (615) 744-4653
Mail: Tennessee Applicant Processing Services
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
901 RS Gass Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37216
2. Once an ORI number is obtained, direct employees or potential employees to complete the fingerprint process for your agency Identogo, using the assigned ORI number. The results will be sent to your agency.
3. The template letter to report results of fingerprinting must to be completed and sent to TEIS as part of the vendor application packet. Agencies may either complete a letter for each staff member or a single letter with a list of names attached. Mail the letter(s) and vendor packet to:
Tennessee’s Early Intervention System
Attn: Contracts Manager
710 James Robertson Parkway, 11th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
1. Read and complete Volunteer and Employee Criminal History System (VECHS) Waiver Agreement and Statement. Ensure all blocks are completed and the form is signed.
2. Read and sign Noncriminal Justice Applicant’s Privacy Rights.
3. Make appointment with IdentoGo for fingerprinting using the steps in “Registering for Fingerprinting Fast and Easy”. Individual will receive a confirmation page that contains the date of the appointment. When making the appointment with IdentoGo, the preferred method is using their website. If necessary, you can call (855) 226-2937 to schedule the appointment. You must use ORI # TNHS00370, which may be used only for the purpose of meeting the requirements for provision of statewide early intervention services to eligible infants and toddlers with disabilities birth through two years of age receiving services through Tennessee’s Early Intervention System (TEIS).
4. Email or send through regular mail the following compiled documents:
a. VECHS Waiver Agreement and Statement
b. Noncriminal Justice Applicant’s Privacy Rights form
c. Copy of the confirmation page that contains the date of the appointment.
5. If emailing, send to: Tabatha.Bolding@tn.gov.
6. If sending by regular mail, send to:
Tennessee Department of Education
Attn: Tabatha Bolding
9th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243
7. Results of the background check will be sent to the Tennessee Department of Education, Attn: Tabatha Bolding.