Division: Information Systems – TN DOE
Reports to: Director, Project and Program Management
The Information System Group for the Tennessee Department of Education is seeking an experienced Senior Project Manager and Scrum Master to assist the department in project portfolio management and Agile coaching / mentorship across project teams. This position will be part coach and player taking on responsibilities that drive consistency and maturity in project portfolio management.
- Manage intake of requests across various work streams.
- Coach and manage teams on Agile, Scrum and Kanban best practices.
- Act as an Agile advocate educating others on roles, ceremonies, and benefits.
- Adherence to and creation of new process performance metrics.
- Scheduling and managing 5 levels of planning.
- Facilitating and managing Agile ceremonies.
- Oversee design, implementation, QA and validation supporting technologies changes.
- Facilitate daily scrums, and meetings to monitor project progress.
- Provide status updates to management teams.
- Conduct meetings and presentations to share findings.
- Clear obstacles and roadblocks on behalf of team(s).
- Build high functioning Agile teams maximizing sprint capacity and velocity.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with internal teams, product owners and stakeholders.
- Manage external interference resulting in a consistent delivery of commitments.
- Drive improvements around requirements and acceptance criteria.
- Implement and drive performance metrics and results across projects and teams.
- Introduce portfolio management techniques and processes across project teams.
- Communicate portfolio results to management on project and team status.
- Mentor others for success by identifying coaching and improvement opportunities.
- Minimum of 4 years related experience in an Agile-focused (Scrum) software delivery environment.
- Minium of 2 years leading multiple project teams.
- Experience in portfolio and or program management.
- Strong understanding of agile Scrum practices (e.g., sprints, estimation, prioritization, burndown tracking, release planning/scoping).
- Strong understanding of agile Scrum ceremonies (e.g., daily stand-ups, demonstrations, retrospectives, Scrum of Scrums)
- Strong understanding of software delivery, particularly in the software environment (e.g., understanding of development and test environments).
- Familiarity with Scrum and Kanban concepts.
- Awareness of Agile technology practices (e.g., Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing)
- Self-starter accustomed to a fast-paced environment.
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a team diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Knowledge of numerous, well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (examples: Burndown techniques, Retrospective formats, handling bugs).
- Demonstrable servant leadership skills in the areas of group facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continuous improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Experience using software tools to manage scrum teams.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Scrum Master certification (CSM, SSM, PSM, SAFE).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Please email resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Information Systems
Classification (Payroll Title): SW Dev-Adv
Position Number: TBD
Reports to: Director, Application Development
Last Revised Date: 6.30.21
Department of Education Vision: We will set all students on a path to success.
Priorities: Academics: All Tennessee students will have access to a high quality education, no matter where they live. · Whole Child: Tennessee public schools will be equipped to serve the academic and non-academic needs of all students. · Educators: Tennessee will set a new path for the education profession and be the top state to become and remain a teacher and leader.
Position Summary: The Information System division for the TN Dept of Education is seeking an experienced User Interface and User Experience engineer that will be responsible for the User Interface/ Experience for the Best For All Central Platform. The role will use various techniques to implement UI/UX disciplines across web, communications, dashboarding and training.
• 5+ years experience leading projects for digital media experiences (web, mobile, apps, dashboards etc.) using user-centered design practices.
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Information Design, Human Factors or equivalent of 7+ years' work experience.
• Minimum of 4 years related experience in an Agile-focused (Scrum) software delivery environment
• Manage intake of requests across various work streams as it relates to UI/UX requirements.
• Plan and implement new designs across technology platforms.
• Implement standards and guidelines for user experience and interface design.
• Create prototypes for new product ideas and MVP.
• Explore various design approaches to solve specific user problems.
• Define user journeys, task flows and interaction models.
• Create and maintain cohesive style guide to ensure consistent design standards are followed across systems and products.
• Provide updates on a regular characteristic of what is required from the business requirements
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Strong understanding of agile Scrum practices (e.g., sprints, estimation, prioritization, burndown tracking, release planning/scoping).
• Strong understanding of agile Scrum ceremonies (e.g., daily stand-ups, demonstrations, retrospectives, Scrum of Scrums).
• Strong understanding of software delivery, particularly in the software environment (e.g., understanding of development and test environments).
• Awareness of Agile technology practices (e.g., Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing).
• Self-starter accustomed to a fast-paced environment.
• Proven work experience of 5+ years as a UI/UX engineer.
• Excellent presentation skills using common office products and creative design tools.
• Portfolio that demonstrates exceptional quality and creativity.
None at this time.
The duties will primarily be carried out indoors, in environmentally controlled conditions. The employee will be required to perform general physical abilities and handle and move objects.
Physical demands include walking, standing, bending, lifting, climbing stairs, and moving during working hours.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position. Expected work hours are 37.5 hours per week, from 8-4:30pm with an hour lunch break.
No travel is required for this role at this time.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to: Education.email@example.com
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
Tennessee Department of Education also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact the Human Capital team at 615-741-5158. You can also direct your request for accommodation in writing to the Tennessee Department of Education, Attn: Human Capital Division, 710 James Robertson Pkwy., Nashville, TN 37243.