Tennessee Public Charter School Commission
Davy Crockett, 5th floor • 500 James Robertson Parkway • Nashville, TN 37243
Coordinator of Special Populations
The Tennessee Public Charter School Commission (Charter Commission) is seeking a full-time coordinator of special populations.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, manage multiple projects with ambitious deadlines, and support special populations district functions. This position is an excellent opportunity to support the newly created Charter Commission which was established under Public Chapter 219 of the 111th General Assembly.
The Charter Commission is composed of nine members selected by the governor and representing a broad geographic cross-section of the state. The Commission’s focus on the authorization of quality charter schools will enable deeper engagement with local districts and stakeholders, and in turn ensure that decisions impacting students’ and families’ access to high-quality charter schools are made based on a full appreciation of communities’ specific educational needs. The Commission commenced hearing charter school appeals in January 2021 and assumed responsibility of the authorized charter schools of the State Board of Education in the 2021-22 school year.
This position will report to the coordinator of federal programs and special populations and be responsible for the following:
• Implement the Charter Commission’s procedures for monitoring special populations, including students with disabilities, Section 504, English Learners, and gifted students.
• Monitor authorized charter schools via quarterly web-based monitoring and annual on-site monitoring to ensure authorized charter schools are properly serving special education students, Section 504, and English Learners.
o Monitor authorized charter schools through the EasyIEP online system for required special education and 504 documentation and data quality.
o Monitor authorized charter schools through the Ellevation online system for required English Learner documentation and data quality.
o Monitor authorized charter school implementation of Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for students with disabilities and Individualized Learning Plans (ILPs) for English Learners during annual site visits.
• Support the oversight of authorized charter schools screening of Non-English Language Background students and annual assessment of English Learners.
• Assist in the development and implementation of technical assistance and training for authorized charter school special populations staff.
• Any other duties as assigned to support the overall functions of the Charter Commission.
We are seeking candidates who have:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university (required).
• A demonstrated commitment to meeting expectations at a high bar and history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
• A willingness to be flexible and learn new things and embrace continuous improvement.
• Experience balancing multiple projects and deadlines and the ability to efficiently and effectively get things done with a high-volume workload.
• Experience with and knowledge of special populations at the school and/or district level.
• A team orientation and willingness to contribute across team functions.
This position is based in Nashville, TN. The individual in this role will be required to be in the office in-person a few days a week, and there is no option to be exclusively remote. Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Mary Elam at Mary.Elam2@tn.gov. In your email subject line, please reference “Coordinator of Special Populations.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.