In an increasingly complex global economy, all students must be prepared with intellectual, technical, and social skills needed to compete and contribute meaningfully to their communities. For most, this will mean completing some postsecondary education or training; for all, it will mean learning about themselves and the world of work.
Work-based learning (WBL) is a proactive approach to bridging the gap between high school and high-demand, high-skill careers in Tennessee. Students build on classroom-based instruction to develop employability skills that prepare them for success in postsecondary education and future careers. Through experiences like internships, apprenticeships, and paid work experience, juniors and seniors (16 years or older) may earn high school credit for capstone WBL experiences. WBL coordinators are educators who are trained and certified by the department to coordinate these WBL experiences for students.
The department is currently seeking additional certified health science work-based learning coordinators to serve on the Work-Based Learning (WBL) Leadership Council. The deadline to submit the application is Monday, May 14, at 3:30 p.m. CT.
- Presentations on WBL
- Work-Based Learning's Role in Career Readiness (WBL Summit)
- Implementing WBL: Action Steps and Practical Advice for Industry (WBL Summit)
- WBL in Tennessee (National Governor's Association)
- For questions about WBL training and certification, please email: WBL.firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions specific to WBL Special Education transitions, please email: Blake.Shearer@tn.gov.
WBL Email Updates
For important WBL updates, please sign up for the email list.
- Personalized Learning Plan Packet for WBL – Required WBL paperwork. For more information, see the WBL Policy Guide.
- WBL: TN Child Labor Law Quick Reference Guide
- WBL Framework
- WBL Policy Guide
- WBL: Career Practicum Standards
- Career Exploration Standards
- WBL Course Standards - For additional course information, visit our Career Clusters page and look for Work-Based Learning.
- WBL Student Placement Portal - for details, see the 2016-17 WBL Updates section.
- Service-Learning and Work-Based Learning Requirements
- WBL Policy Guide: This policy guide was updated in May 2017 to incorporate changes for the 2017-18 school year. For a brief description of these changes, see the 2017-18 WBL Policy Guide FAQ.
- Step-by-Step Guide to the WBL Student Placement Portal - Instructions and timeline for entering student information into the WBL Student Placement Portal. During the 2017-18 school year, this reporting is required for two courses: WBL: Career Practicum (6105) and Nursing Education (6000).
- Reporting Requirements and Checklist for 2016-17 - An overview and checklist of the reporting steps required for the 2017-18 school year.
- WBL Student Exit Survey - This survey is a part of the reporting requirements for students completing year-long and spring term WBL capstone placements in either Nursing Education (6000) or WBL: Career Practicum (6105). Students completing other WBL capstone courses are encouraged, but not required, to participate.
WBL Certification/Recertification Networking Event
WBL Certification/Recertification Networking Event training is an intensive one-day introduction to WBL for teachers and CTE Directors who are not familiar with the new Tennessee State Board of Education Requirements for WBL or anyone in need of recertifying an existing WBL certificate. The WBL Certification/Recertification Networking Events address WBL Career Practicum standards, paperwork and reporting requirements, WBL policies that apply to all CTE capstone courses, and strategies for launching or improving upon a quality WBL program. This training will certify new teachers and recertify returning teachers who need to become familiar with the updated WBL framework. Networking Events are now paperless. Register here.
*Spring registration will be open Friday, January 4, 2019 and close on Friday, January 25, 2019 3:30 pm CT. All registrations for WBL Certification and Recertification Networking Events are processed on a first-come, first-served basis until all available spaces are full. If you have any questions regarding the upcoming WBL Certification and Recertification Networking Events, please feel free to email WBL.Training@tn.gov.