Substitute Teacher (Licensed), Achievement Schools
About the Achievement Schools:
Our goal is ambitious: move the bottom 5% of Tennessee's Schools into the top 25%. We cannot do this without outstanding people leading our classrooms and schools.
The ASD is a people powered, student driven organization. We need people who are not only excited about the mission to transform the bottom 5% of schools, but who are also committed to it. The work is exciting, the work is challenging, and it may be for you.
Achievement Schools in Memphis, Tennessee:
- Corning Achievement Elementary
- Frayser Achievement Elementary
- Georgian Hills Achievement Elementary
- Whitney Achievement Elementary
- Westside Achievement Middle
The substitute teacher performs duties of an achievement school teacher on day-to-day basis – often extending for 20 consecutive days or more. Under the direction of the principal or his/her designee, the substitute teacher will provide instruction, encourage student progress, and manage the learning environment. Candidates must demonstrate professional practices in teaching using the course of study and lesson plan provided by the regular classroom teacher.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
- Follow teacher instructional plan and also be able to plan curriculum for up to 20 consecutive days, if necessary
- Provide instruction in a variety of settings and subject areas to the whole class or small groups
- Ensure supervision of students in class throughout the day and report any incidents to the site director/principal
- Supervise students outdoors at recess or before/after school
- Provide a written report for teacher detailing what transpired during the day
- Serve as a positive role model
- Work collaboratively with staff and parents
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- Valid and active Tennessee teaching license
- Experience teaching in an urban community preferred
- Commitment to working in the Frayser community with historically underserved students
Licensed teachers serving as substitutes are paid $30 per hour.
Please e-mail your resume, copy of teacher license, and contact information for three professional references to Andrea.D.Wilkerson@tn.gov.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee's policy of non-discrimination, the Tennessee Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.