|West||Middle||East||Office of Clinical Services|
Medication Administration Classes
- Medication Administration certification expiration dates have been extended until March 31, 2022. Classes and/or test outs are being conducted by the Regional Offices. Agencies are encouraged to get their staff recertified as soon as possible to avoid being unable to find a class prior to the end of the extension.
- Agency and Independent Trainers are encouraged to follow the CDC, State, and Local Health Department guidelines when conducting in-person Medication Administration Classes and Test-Outs.
- Medication administration classes may be taught via webinar. Current curriculum and 20-hours of class time are required for people needing Medication Administration Certification. Instructors should contact their Regional Office Nurse Educator for instructions.
- Reminder - staff can begin work prior to medication administration training provided they do not administer medication. As always, they can work alongside a certified staff who administers all medication for that home.
Remote Medication Administration
- In an effort to maintain continuity of care until the end of the medication administration certification extension on December 31, 2021, DIDD will continue to allow staff who are currently certified under the Medication Administration for Unlicensed Personal program to direct unlicensed staff who have not yet been certified through the program to administer medications via a live remote connection. The certified staff directing the uncertified staff will retain responsibility for the administration of the medications and non-certified staff must complete the remote medication administration training in Relias.
- Certified staff may remotely direct uncertified staff following the training and guidance which can be found under “Medication Administration” on the DIDD COVID-19 web page https://www.tn.gov/didd/covid-19.html. The uncertified staff must take the “remote medication administration” training in Relias before being directed by a certified staff member.
Remote Medication Administration Guidelines
Training Curriculum Materials
- Handout (Please print 2-sided)
Test-Out Review Materials
- MARS (Please print 2-sided)
- Test-Out Online Review 4.5mb (PDF Version - with streaming video) - You will need to be connected to the internet to use this version as the videos used throughout this presentation are streamed from YouTube.