Skip to Main Content

Child Protective Services History Check

If you need information on an individual seeking to foster a child you can request the information in the following ways:

For In-State Requests

Please fill out this form and email it to DCS.

Include in the subject line, the applicant's first name and the first initial of the last name. For example: J. Brown – "agency name"

Also, be sure the body of your message includes official contact information from the requesting agency.  

For Out-of-State Requests

Please submit to, the following information:

Submit for EACH applicant for whom you are requesting a search.

  1. A cover letter (notice) on your agency’s letterhead stating the reason you are requesting a central registry search. 
  2. Attached “Tennessee DCS Database Search Results” form completed in Word format.
  3. Copy of current agency license (if a CPA/private adoption agency).  For independent home study writers, please include proof or verification noting your approval as a home study writer).
  4. A copy of the person’s signed “authorization to release information” specifically stating information is to be shared from Tennessee Department of Children’s Services with your agency. NOTE: This is NOT a TN form.  This is a form that your agency should have, giving permission for “your” agency to “request” the information and “our” agency (TN Dept. of Children’s Services) to “release” any CPS history information to “you”. 

On the subject line of the email request, please indicate “Out of State Request” along with the applicant’s first initial and last name.

State of TN Response to Block Grant Requirement

  • Out-of-State Licensed Childcare/Daycare centers (Childcare Block Grant Requirements)
  • Requests for CPS Background History Checks (Child Abuse/Neglect Registry Information)

Requests coming directly from childcare centers should include:

  • A copy of the agency’s childcare license
  • A statement regarding the age of the children served (if not included on the agency license)
  • The applicant/employee’s last known address in the state of Tennessee (date resided at address if known)

Requirement for requests coming directly from state agencies:

  • A statement on agency letterhead that notes the applicant/employee’s last known address in TN along with the dates lived in TN
  • Name of Childcare where the applicant/employee will work/is working in your state (if known)

Whether the request comes directly from a state licensing agency, which requires a statement on letterhead regarding the applicant/employee’s last known address and the name of the childcare center served in your state, or directly from the childcare center, which requires proof of requirement, a copy of the agency’s license and a statement that presents the age of the children served in the childcare setting (if not noted on the agency license) and the applicant’s last known address in Tennessee, along with the timeframe resided at the address (if known), the attached form should be completed and included with all requests.

NOTE: The attached form MUST be typewritten and submitted in Word format.  In the “reason for search request” field please select “Out of State Daycare Employment”.  All requests should be sent to

Any/all attachments should be submitted as individual documents and NOT as one PDF document.

For Social Service or Law Enforcement Agencies in Other States

For law enforcement and social service agencies with open criminal investigations involving the abuse of a child/child as a victim or open CPS investigations please email all requests for Child Protective Services history information.

Requests should include proof of identification/agency affiliation from the requestor.

For Individuals Who Have a History of Involvement with Child Protective Services

If you have had prior involvement with Child Protective Services and would like to request confirmation that this involvement did not result in a substantiated case of abuse and/or neglect, please visit the section for Alleged Perpetrators for more information.  

If you would like to request DCS records, please visit the DCS Records Management Office.