Research, Survey & Grant Review
The DCS Research, Survey and Grant Review Committee ensures research requests, surveys and grant proposals are reviewed, approved and executed in accordance with relevant state and federal laws and regulations and with DCS policy.
The policy applies to research requests, surveys and grant proposals involving possible use of human subjects and confidential DCS data. The work of the committee is governed by DCS Policy 1.33. The committee is chaired by the Executive Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner of Quality Control, with input from committee members and a DCS attorney who advises the committee, with the Commissioner/Commissioner’s Designee having final approval over research requests.
Public Record Request
Please see the following links below to access aggregate data.
• Bureau of Justice Statistics
• Child Welfare Information Gateway
• Child Welfare League of America
• Kids Count Data Center
• Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
• TN Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
• Child Welfare League of America data analysis system
• U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention
• Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
• Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
• U.S. Census Bureau
Research, Survey and Grant Request Forms
If you are a researcher with a university, state or federal agency, you will need to complete the Basic Information Section of the Research, Survey and Grant Request Form (CS-1059) and any applicable sections.
Student Research Request
All student requests sent to the Research Review Committee via the Research Request Forms should attach a copy of his/her university IRB as completely filled out as possible (pending receipt of the university IRB final approval). Data or research information will not be released by DCS until the university IRB approval has been received.
Students are required to identify the value of his/her research proposal to all system sizes. When you discuss the benefits of your research proposal in the research request form, please identify the value of your proposed project to DCS, to the children, to the community, and to the state.
Here are some questions to consider when you answer:
• Who at DCS would be interested in my research findings?
• What areas of DCS will my research potentially impact?
• How would DCS be able to act upon my research findings?
Approval or Disapproval Reasons
A decision of approval or disapproval of the request will be based on the committee's discussion and consideration of at least the following factors:
- Applicable state laws and rules, federal laws and regulations, and applicable accreditation standards;
- The purpose for which the information is to be used and benefits to DCS;
- Ability to provide the requested information;
- Cost (time and staff resources) of providing the requested information, and feasibility, merit, potential outcome, and benefit of the research.
Email Your Forms
Please email your completed requests.