Highway Entrance Permits
Under state law, a permit is required before construction of a driveway on state highway right-of-way, including the modification, revision, or change in use of any existing driveway facilities. Property owners must obtain a permit from TDOT.
The purpose of the driveway permit process is to manage access on the State Highway System. Access regulations are necessary in order to preserve the functional integrity of the State Highway System and to promote the safe and efficient movement of people and goods while providing reasonable access to adjoining property owners. Reasonable access means that a property owner will have access to the public highway system, but it does not mean that potential patrons are guaranteed the most direct or convenient access from a specific roadway to the owner’s property.
Click the appropriate button below.
- Rules and Regulations for Constructing Driveway Entrances on State Highway Rights-of-Way
- TDOT Commercial Driveway Permit Checklist
- Highway System Access Manual
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- TDOT Long Range Planning Office (for information on Urban Boundary lines and functional classification of roads)
- TDOT Design Guidelines
- TDOT Standard Drawings
- Local Agencies Responsible for Permits
- Cash Bond
- Surety Bond