Acceptable Proof of Temporary Legal Presence

PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your temporary driver license or temporary identification license.

Items must be original documents. No photocopies will be accepted!

To prove temporary legal presence, applicants must provide one of the following:

  • Conditional Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Valid Foreign Passport with Valid Visa and I-94 attached
  • (Note: The passport must have an English translation)
  • Valid Foreign Passport with I-94W attached
    • Holders of F1, F2, M1, or M2 status should also present a valid SEVIS I-20
    • Holders of J1 or J2 status should also present a valid DS-2019
  • Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688)
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)