Skip to Main Content

Department of Safety and Homeland Security Releases Statement on Ruling Issued by U.S. District Judge Trauger NASHVILLE --- The Department of Safety and Homeland Security has received the order. It will stop suspensions of licenses, as the Court requires, and it will promptly review the balance of the order to determine the appropriate next steps. Please be patient as we work through this process.

Proof of Citizenship/Lawful Permanent Residency

PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to further verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your permit, driver license, identification only license, temporary driver license or temporary identification license.

No photocopies will be accepted!

Acceptable Documents for U.S. Citizenship

  • Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Guam)
    IMPORTANT: Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be recognized as proof of Lawful U.S. Citizenship beginning November 1, 2010.
  • The government of Puerto Rico has provided information for citizens to apply for new birth certificates.
  • U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)

Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

  • Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been "Processed for I-551"
  • Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
  • Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551” stamp and holder’s photograph affixed
  • Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)
  • Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)
  • Form I-94 stamped  with one of the following statuses:  Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee